Edwardian Farm

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Ravenknight
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Edwardian Farm

Hi
New to site , so I thought my first subject would be the series Edwardian farm. I thought the first episode ( i think it was ) was brilliant.
Love watching these kind of programmes as they take you back to a time when you appreciate and respect nature, and the things now taken for granted....
Hard work as it is , the sense of achievment even now atracts people to live in a similar manner.......

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Edwardian Farm

I enjoyed it very much. I watched the whole of the Victorian Garden series and can envisage getting hooked on this one too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Did I mention it's filmed just across the River from me?

I think so.

The lady in the program lived in the local Pub whilst filming....

It was amazing really that you watch the program and the setting looks magnificent, it is odd when its the same one that I look at every morning!
Attachments
river1.jpg
river1.jpg (21.27 KiB) Viewed 21449 times
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

spider8

Ow drat, I've missed this programme so hope it's on the iplayer thingie wotsit.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Millymollymandy

Yes I'm enjoying it as mentioned in the other thread, especially as I found a granite trough in my garden exactly the same as the one they featured. :cheers:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Boboff - you can now put Edwardian Farm in your profile as your location. :lol:

I never knew whereabouts you lived up until now as you haven't got your location there!

Ravenknight
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Yes Boboff , the set is like a period drama ! I suppose to add to the atmosphere....
Millymollymandy, could not believe how long it took to chisel that granite trough and the skill that went into it...
As they mentioned on the programme " prisoners " were normally assigned to this job.....

Millymollymandy

Yeah, I was chuffed to bits when I found it here cos it was upside down under a shrub and covered in moss - thought it was just a rectangular lump of granite until one day when we had enough men around to turn it over and shift it, then we realised what it was!

Now I have even more respect for it after seeing how much hard work is involved the making of them. :salute: :salute: :salute:

Making the lime for the fields is even more amazing and labour intensive. The things we take for granted these days, eh?

grahamhobbs

I enjoy these programmes, they take me back to my childhood, holidays at my gran's in the country in the fifties, little had changed in Suffolk since Edwardian/Victorian times, there were still village blacksmiths and horses working the land. The way my grandparents lived and dressed was completely Edwardian - the only concession to moderninity was one gas lamp over the kitchen table.

One thing in the programme, did they make it clear that they were not dressing that part of the field with lime where the spuds were going in? Potatoes hate lime.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I thought they said they were liming for the spuds, because the ground there was too acidic because of runoff from Bodmin. Or did I dream all that? :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

spider8

Yep, just watched it on iPlayer and really enjoyed it as I did the Victorian one they did in Shropshire. I do envy you your granite trough MMM, lucky you. There was a patch of tilled earth in the same field as where they limed and assumed that would be where the spuds would be grown. Must be lime blowing across it though?
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

I always enjoy program's like this keep them coming for me :thumbright:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ

boboff

Well Gordy says you shouldn't lime before Oats, "daft buggers" he says.

Gordy was brought up at Newquay which is another now abandoned Hamlett on the cornwall bank about half a mile from Morwellham.

They also pronounce this incorrectly, its mor-welaam, not this year posh More well Ham.

The Rock face I look at from the Office is Morewell Rock, from which you get the Quay at Morewellham. The house in the picture is where I live, and at the time there was a Boat Yard here as well.

Still weeds grow well.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

boboff

Anyway, series nearly at an end.

My house did appear in the "May" episode I think, when "Bill Sykes" went up to the rock with his Artist friend and they looked down the valley onto the River, my house was right in the centre of picture, my woods to the left of it, and my two fields to the right of it.

The artist chap could be seen drawing my Chimney!

It's a small thing I know, but we were all rather jolly watching it, and have kept it on Sky Plus!

I like the program, but that Woman's shouting all the time is really starting to get on my nerves, ALLOT!!!!

Millymollymandy

We're behind too, somehow I missed the one about daffodils :dontknow: and have a couple more to watch. I can't take the whole programme in one go - it's very interesting but somehow hard work! I can't remember seeing an artist either - was that the daffy episode? I've just seen the cream tea one and I can't see there is anything different between my scones and theirs that they said were different from scones. :dontknow: I just don't cut mine into rounds or put sugar or sultanas in but they are not savoury, any more than bread is savoury. :scratch: It is what you put on top of it that makes it sweet or savoury I reckon! :iconbiggrin: