Gratuitous Gushing about River Cottage Everday, Thurs 8pm c4

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gratuitous Gushing about River Cottage Everday, Thurs 8p

Millymollymandy wrote:Well that makes no sense, his recipe for the beetroot roast is different on the website than it was on the telly, also the photo is what you saw on the telly and doesn't correspond to the recipe (which says to bake whole in foil). Which he didn't do. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/roa ... ese-salad/
Just followed your link out of curiosity, isn't that web site for ordinary folk to share their own recipes ?
It says "share your yummy dishes" and that one seems to have been posted by someone called "every day"
So don't be confused, it's a different recipe from a different person, just to wind up you HFW lovers. :pukeright:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

On the River Cottage forum, I queried the recommended timings, in the River Cottage book on Preserving, for bottling apples, which said you only need to slowly raise the temperature to simmering point in the water bath method and then simmer the apples for only 2 minutes. A forum administrator lamely replied it was probably a typo. I thought the danger of botulism needed a rather more definitive answer.
The moral is you can't assume HFW is the word of god.

Sinmara
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

my Deviant Art page

Sinmara77 on Twitter

Millymollymandy

That's the same recipe that I posted. There was no mention of redcurrants as far as I am aware - sounds revolting anyway!

The link that I posted had the photo from the programme of the dish he cooked, but instead of roasting the sliced beetroot openly in a roasting pan, it says to put whole ones in foil. Well they wouldn't really roast like that.

I will have to watch again and take note of what he said/ingredients exactly!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Sinmara

Millymollymandy wrote:That's the same recipe that I posted. There was no mention of redcurrants as far as I am aware - sounds revolting anyway!

The link that I posted had the photo from the programme of the dish he cooked, but instead of roasting the sliced beetroot openly in a roasting pan, it says to put whole ones in foil. Well they wouldn't really roast like that.

I will have to watch again and take note of what he said/ingredients exactly!
oh yeah, you're right, d'oh!
my Deviant Art page

Sinmara77 on Twitter

Millymollymandy

There's another thing I didn't understand - the woman who said she detested broad beans because of the horrid bitter flavour - well why on earth didn't he tell her to peel the outer skin off? I always hated the horrid bitter things all my life until I grew them myself and discovered that as long as you take that skin off they are now one of my most favourite veg in the entire world! :shock: :cheers: He just gave her tiny baby ones with skin on (obviously) and she said they were better but still with a bitter note so wasn't totally convinced.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Well that makes no sense, his recipe for the beetroot roast is different on the website than it was on the telly, also the photo is what you saw on the telly and doesn't correspond to the recipe (which says to bake whole in foil). Which he didn't do. :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/roa ... ese-salad/
Just followed your link out of curiosity, isn't that web site for ordinary folk to share their own recipes ?
It says "share your yummy dishes" and that one seems to have been posted by someone called "every day"
So don't be confused, it's a different recipe from a different person, just to wind up you HFW lovers. :pukeright:
Everyday is the name of the series/book, so the recipes posted by 'everyday' are Hugh's recipes from this series as opposed to members who are posting their own recipes. Here's the link to the member called 'everyday' (HFW himself). :iconbiggrin:

http://www.rivercottage.net/users/Every%20Day/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Everyday is the name of the series/book, so the recipes posted by 'everyday' are Hugh's recipes from this series as opposed to members who are posting their own recipes. Here's the link to the member called 'everyday' (HFW himself). :iconbiggrin:
OK, sorry about that.
Just goes to prove beyond doubt that I can't stand the curly headed twerp. :iconbiggrin:
However, I prefer him to that foul mouthed loathsome pile of excrement that everybody else seems to watch. :scratch:
Tony

pelmetman

Can't think of his name Odsox (the foul speaking one) - I have to agree with you, only saw a bit of the programme once and although he may be a good chef couldn't stand his language/attitude so not on our TV thank you very much :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sue :flower:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

pelmetman wrote:(the foul speaking one)
- Gordon Ramsay? :roll: I've seen him once - family orders. My SIL's niece worked in one of the restaurant he rescued. Never again. :shaking:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

If you go to 4 on demand

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/river-cottage/4od

you can watch all the river cottage series.

Ive started at the beginning where he first moves to River cottage and gets his 1st two pigs and starts sowing his Vegetable bed. Great stuff. I think Hugh is pretty cool.

Millymollymandy

Oh gawd give me Hugh any day, or even Jamie. Better yet I prefer and yes I do still have a soft spot for........ DELIA! :lol:

I haven't liked anything that GR cooks apart from a few of the dishes in the kitchen nightmares series, but anything from the F-word is just poncy restaurant stuff that I wouldn't touch with a bargepole, and even then only if it was properly cooked. :pukeright: :pukeright: :pukeright:

However I'd rather watch him any day of the week than Nigella. :roll:

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It seems that I'm in a minority, yet again :iconbiggrin:
As I find watching any celebrity chef on television about as interesting as watching paint dry and a tad insulting to boot.
Tony

boboff

Hm no your not quite.

He is a media invention, don't forget that his background is media.

I am reliably informed that he spends most of his time "in town" and has lots of people doing the work.

River Cottage was always a way of making money, just like Gordon Ramseys, places where he sells food ( can't spell that word)

He encourages people to cook etc, but I do not think I would rely on any form of "ish" ness from him.

I like his programs, but you have to take what he says with a pinch of salt, he is allot more in control of his destiny, than the "bumbling" idiot that appears on our screens.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

old tree man
latitude: 54.5619 N
longitude: 0.9874 W
Facebook Name: Don't have one

How about Grahame kerr, does anyone remember him every time he did something he always took a swig of wine by the end of the show he was well popped up :drunken: :lol: :flower:
Respect to all, be kind to all and you shall reap what you sow.
old tree man,
aka..... Russ