Mrs Bucket.....

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
JulieSherris
A selfsufficientish Regular

Mrs Bucket.....

I 'forced' hubby to watch 3 episodes of 'Keeping Up Appearances' this morning, with Hyacinth Bucket.......

Honestly, his Mum is the absolute double! It's the facial expressions, the class comments, the little asides, I've been crying with laughter :mrgreen:

I told him we had to watch, so we could 'mentally prepare' for her visit.......

He now wants to record some episodes so we can watch them with her - but as I said, it'll go right over her head. If you mention the programme to any of her friends, they usually get this enigmatic smile on their faces.... nuff said.

I'm going to buy hubby a vest & model ourselves on Daisy & Onslow - albeit a greener version :sunny:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Millymollymandy

Re: Mrs Bucket.....

You are a mean woman, Julie Sherris. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

invisiblepiper

Oooh I don't know - I kinda like your style! .................now my mother is coming on Christmas Day......... :lol:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

Milims

It must be something about women of a certain generation - my mother is just the same! I watched it yesterday -the one where they were on the QE2 and Onslow and Rose had won a cruise on the same ship. It really made me cringe!
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Rosendula

:shock: I think this is the first time I haven't agreed with you on something, Julie. How can you sit through 3 episodes of that? I can't stand the programme. I think it's because she reminds me of my own mother, who, btw loves Hyacinth Bucket and thinks she's hilarious. :scratch:

:dontknow: I guess we're all different.
:sunny:
Rosey xx

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean you moved to the furthest reaches of Galway and she STILL found you :reindeer:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

JulieSherris

Rosendula wrote::shock: I think this is the first time I haven't agreed with you on something, Julie. How can you sit through 3 episodes of that? I can't stand the programme. I think it's because she reminds me of my own mother, who, btw loves Hyacinth Bucket and thinks she's hilarious. :scratch:

:dontknow: I guess we're all different.
:sunny:
I think that's the point though, Rose - if she had been MY mum, I wouldn't want to watch it either.
I couldn't stand the matriarch of the Fowler family in Eastenders, because she was an older version of my mum - Lou, I think her name was.....

It's not the programme itself that's funny - it's watching her face & listening to the comments - when really, she has no place to be such a snob. Ditto the MIL..... her parents could barely read & hubby was a book-keeper for the leccy board in Middlesbrough.

I know Millymollymandy said I was mean & yep, sometimes I am - I try & get my own back at times.
10 yrs ago, hubby & I were at her house & got to talking about hs real parents that he'd found a few years before. Daughter of a warehouse worker, son of a fisherman (He was adopted) I can still her words..... "If we'd known that you'd come from a blue collar family, we would never have taken you"...... :shock: All said in her best 'Hyacinth' voice, of course :wink:

And Tony, she visits for a week twice a year - ok, it's twice a year too often, but we tried our hardest to get as far away from NE england as we could!!

Oh, the fun starts tomorrow - I have to drive to Dublin airport to collect her - a 3 hour drive.... ON MY OWN!
It's not the drive there that's worrying me, it's the drive home - if I was a drinker, I might have a small (magnum) canteen of brandy tucked in the car!

She's already worrying that we may get a puncture on the way back - and obviously, because I'm female, I don't know what to do, do I? :roll:
Oh, I can feel my blood pressure rising already, folks..... I am off to chop a few logs & take this feeling out on my saw! See you all later,
Julie x
(And don't mind me, I'm just panicking because I know the stress that she puts on us all while she's here - but when she's 88, how on earth do we get out of it again next year??)
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink: