The Restaurant

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Restaurant

Now tell me - would anyone with any sense at all employ ANY of 'em to even run a chip shop?
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

invisiblepiper
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: The Restaurant

No Way!!! :lol:
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less travelled by
And that has made all the difference.
(Robert Frost)

brendya
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How do I get customers into a restaurant? I work at a small family restaurant in Grand Prairie, Tx. I'm looking for ideas on getting customers in to eat in today's tough economy. We offer two for one's, breakfast buffet, etc. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by brendya on Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gert
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 51.126621
longitude: -1.933950

Interesting question Brendya, I think you'd need to ask another Texan, as I imagine what would tempt in a self suficient Brit would not be the same for your average Texan.

I like the idea of a two for one breakfast though :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: a bogoff breakie. I wish they did that round here. :mrgreen:

tim_n
Tom Good
Tom Good

brendya, watching Gorden Ramsey something that works well is establishing yourself as a provider of good quality locally sourced food. One of the shows I watched recently which was a 'best of' had him at a failing resturant serving italian food. Using a very basic recipe he made the owner wander about the town center proclaiming he had the best meatballs in town.

When he revisited, the owner was presented with a certificate showing he did indeed have the best meaballs not only in the town but the state or something.

That ought to draw the customers in!

So choose something you can do well - maybe make your own quality sausages and do the same thing. Advertise free range eggs etc. If your food is fairly priced and of good quality and standard it should speak for itself. You'll never compete 2 for 1 like macdonalds can do out there. I remember getting two sausage and egg mcmuffins out in the US when they were launched - 2 for 99c! I'd rather go somewhere which served good quality food though.

Similarly you can do specific nights - over here a number of resturants do curry nights, pie nights etc. Take the pie night, you turn up and have either veggie pie or meat pie and associated veg dish (chips/jacket/veg). Most of the prep work can be done earlier in the day reducing costs in staff/labour. You charge a fairly nominal fee - over here you can expect to eat for under £10 (about $15) but be assured of fresh local produce and great taste. Again, go out and self promote during the day and get people through the doors. You only have to be a bit usual to stand out!

Good luck, it's a tough economy.
Tim_n
http://www.waark.com - allotment and green living blog

Shirley

Good quality food, good service, nice atmosphere, fair prices.

I haven't seen 'The Restaurant'.

I went to take photos in a restaurant the other day and wanted to capture a warm atmosphere but the lighting was dull and made the place seem uninviting even though the staff were lovely.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/