peppers/chillies

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
thomasgreen
Tom Good
Tom Good

peppers/chillies

hello!

does anybody have any methods/advice that work particularly well when growing peppers and chillies that they would share with me? All my chillies just seem to be fluctuating between being a little poorly to ok but not growing very much at all?!

thanks! tom :cheers:

Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

How far have they got so far? Both like to be a bit dry - Mediterranean style and I have found that they prefer to be in pots rather than in open soil. Somehow restricting their roots a little produced better crops for me.

Mine are only at 6 leaves atm. At least I think they are - I sowed loads and loads of seeds one day and guess what ones I did not label! Convinced they are peppers though..... time will tell!
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi I have never had much sucess unless the seeds are sown indoors Feb/March or early April. They always say not to overwater.

This year I have about 6 Peppers and 15-20 chilli plants. I have tried to germinate some more after mid april but no luck. It has been the same the last few years, the ones that do germinate never get bigger than 1 inch tall and then fall over and die.

I always keep mine in pots too, but I have been advised they will grow in the ground if planted outside in June.

andyt
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

peppers/chillies

they definately prefer a free-draining soil.if grown outdoors in heavy soil,maybe add some gravel to assist drainage.If grown in greenhouse,water little,but often.Also,give 'em space to breath!

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

I just make sure they are fed and kept warm bu sitting them on top of my fridge which is by a south facing window, one of my chili plants is three years old in June and still producing more than I can eat!

Lady Willow
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mini too looked rubbish for absolutly ages ... then they had a spurt of grown. I've just planted them out in a polytunnel this week and they are now galloping ahead.

My tomatoes, aubergines and red peppers all took ages to get going this year.

mrmushypeas
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My last lot struggled to begin with, but once I put some wind break material around them they went like gangbusters!

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

They dont like wind do they! Mine suffer until the wind drops in the summer months. We are on the coast so we get a fair bit most months of the year.

Michelle
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Ours totally failed outdoors last year so this time I have chilis indoors in small pots. The biggest one has 2 chilis and was doing really well until I overwatered it. The leaves turned yellow and some dropped off. I didn't realise they liked dry soil. It is recovering slowly
one of my chili plants is three years old in June and still producing more than I can eat!
Wow! I thought they only lasted a year! Do you need to give them artificial light over the winter?
Blog: http://michelles-garden.blogspot.com/
Updated 11th July 2008

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

They are technically perenials, if you can get them to survive the first year they seem to settle in to the environment, didn't give them artificial light as they get enough through the windows, once winter really sets in they stop producing flowers and fruit though.

Michelle

Amazing, I had no idea! What size pot have you got your 3 year old plant in? And how big do the plants grow?
Blog: http://michelles-garden.blogspot.com/
Updated 11th July 2008

ashamomodablam
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

just brought my chilli indooors as its looking very sorry for its self

JR
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have one a few years old too, I do give it a trim at the end of the summer when I bring it in, not sure if you should but always have.

Its about 15 inches tall, in a 10 inch pot, its as wide as the pot. Once its had its growth spurt it bushes out more and gets a few inches higher. It is having its growth spurt now. Any sign of poor windy weather I will bring it in as this tends to set it back a bit.

I am growing lots of different types this year and plan to keep the best ones to grow on again next year. I dont have the room to do it with all of them so will keep the exotic ones. The normal everyday varieties I will grow new ones next year!

DominicJ
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I put mine in 8cm pots in a propagator until they grow too big, when I take the lid off.
They're in standing water but about 4 cm's above it, so the roots can go down for water but the plant isnt water logged.
Doing quite well, next year I'm going to put them into bigger terracotta pots, but wont move them outside
I'm not a hippie, I'm a realist.
I think everyones English

pskipper
Living the good life
Living the good life

Okay, hope this doesn't come out too big...

If you want to see how big they get visit the Eden project, in the tropical house they have a chili bush the size of a tree!