Problem with Rhubarb

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. Sub-Tropical Climate

Problem with Rhubarb

I hope some one can advise me I have 4 great looking healthy Rhubarb plants that are growing well. The problem is great leaves not much stem.
Am I doing something wrong???????? :flower:
LET'S ALL ENJOY THIS ADVENTURE WE CALL LIFE

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Rhonda,

I don't grow rhubarb but one thing that springs to mind is possibly too much nitrogen. How are you feeding them?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hey Nev,
I gave them a mixture of seaweed fertiliser about a month ago and they are well mulched. I have them in home made soil and searles 5 in 1. They get a drink every other day as I am hardening them off for a 3rd daily watering as I usually do. :flower:

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd suggest that it could be too much sunlight, try shading them with something (wind break, up-turned dustbin, whatever) or the leaves tend to be huge but the stems are very short indeed.

I have never fed my rhubarb and I get more than a healthy crop. but I think too much greenery usually come of too much nitrogen
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

thanks Ann I will try that as I am off now for a morning in the garden weeding ,mulching planting more veg ect.
Then turning the open air compost heap, planting out cuttings for my selling stock gosh that will fill the morning. Then an afternoon of knitting and craft work. :flower:

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

hmm always thought you were sposed to feed rhubarb- something about putting a pile or cow poo on its crown overwinter...

at my last house the rhubarb was right next to the compost heap and did very well

perhaps the shade thing makes sense?
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

This is from my gardening bible. Rhubarb has a voracious appetite

Rhubarb must have a sunny position, away from shade. The soil must be rich in organic material but it should also be reasonably free draining. Because the site will be in use over a long period of time, take care in its preparation, removing all perennial weeds and digging deeply to incorporate as much well-rotted manure as possible.
Water well in dry weather. Apply a mulch of well-rotted, seed-free manure in autumn and again in spring.

Robin
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not that I don't agree with you Robin but...

Since I was a tiny tot Rhubarb has been in nearly every garden I have had. My Mum is shockingly bad at looking after any fruit or veg and despite the neglect the rhubarb has always done well - maybe it didn't grow very fast but none the less I grew sick of having rhubarb crumble every other night for tea, so we had more than enough :mrgreen:

Books are one thing experience can be a little different :wink:

In my current rhubarb patch (which is 50% shade) I allow the top big leaves to remain while I harvest the long pink shoots from underneath... thus leading me to my theory that it grows better in the shade. (think forced rhubarb)

...though, I maybe wrong :?
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

red

Annpan wrote: Books are one thing experience can be a little different :wink:
ah aint that the truth - the number of things I have grown successfully before finding out later I was doing it wrong :mrgreen:
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Peggy Sue

I can think of several Rhubarb plots besides mine that are in 'non text book conditions' but extreamely healthy cropwise.

I stuck mine in a damp shady corner where nothing else would grow except weeds. The ground is heavy clay so a slung on a wedge of horse manure (a bit fresh coz I didn't have any rotted). Thats about it- get Rhubarb pie when I want it!!

I think it may be one of those plants that doesn't need too much TLC. My inlaws have lost interest in Rhubarb so hack theirs back all teh time, but it comes back in force (in a damp shady overrun area under a tree)

Even the allotment gurus plant the Rhubarb in a shady corner
Just Do It!

possum

I have always grown it (with the exception of this year) in a bucket with the bottom cut off - traditionally an old galvanised bucked that the bottom has rusted through.
However in the UK I always had the problem of insect damage which I think was rhubarb curculio.
This year it grew in full sun, was healthy as anything, but large leaves and short stalks, but still plenty of stalks

This spring I will probabl try and blanch it a little to see if it improves the flavour and cross my fingers that there is no insect attack
Opinionated but harmless

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good

Okay I did take a bit of everybodies advice and now have thick strong stemmed Rhubarb that tastes wonderful.
My dear old dad will be here in a week and a half for my wedding and he will be delighted with his child hood favorite. Stewed Rhubarb and fresh made custard. Thanks all :flower:

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:cheers:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Shirley

kimmysmum wrote:Okay I did take a bit of everybodies advice and now have thick strong stemmed Rhubarb that tastes wonderful.
My dear old dad will be here in a week and a half for my wedding and he will be delighted with his child hood favorite. Stewed Rhubarb and fresh made custard. Thanks all :flower:
Awww that's LOVELY!!!

:mrgreen: :flower: :mrgreen:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yipee! :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay