Quinoa

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quinoa

Well I finished harvesting the quinoa today and got just under 1.5 Kg of cleaned grain.
I'm not sure that I will grow it again, but you have to get these things out of your system, and now I've done that. :lol:

Regarding washing, it took ages and it's still not totally saponin free, although soaking for a few hours before cooking (a la GA) does make it palatable. Coincidentally Lidl had some fine mesh bags for sale meant for washing delicate items which worked very well for washing quinoa. But it took ages, at least 5 cool wash and rinse cycle in the washing machine.

Oh, don't believe the "theory" that the saponins deter birds. While I was sitting in the barn threshing the seed out into a pail, our resident robin was constantly circling the floor picking up the seed that had prematurely fallen out.

So been there, done that, and hopefully learnt by it.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Quinoa

At least you didn't get frostbite (nearly) this time. I'm surprised the "underwear bags" have small enough holes.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: I'm surprised the "underwear bags" have small enough holes.
I must admit I'd never seen them before, but these (there are 2 in the pack, one big and one not so big) are the same as jelly bags, very fine holes that you could strain cheese with.

No frostbite, but I think the electricity used for the washing machine far outweighs the benefits of growing your own grain that I'm not that keen on anyway.
Although it was rather nice in the concoction I made with salmon, prawns, garlic and cream.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I must have a look for some next time I'm in - they sound like they'd be good for straining nut "milk" and other stuff I periodically make for the gal. I'm currently straining some fermented nuts to make cheese. Very tasty!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin