What to plant when?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
LauraT
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

What to plant when?

Is there a list anywhere of what vegetables to plant at what time of year? :?

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been thinking about doing a fact sheet with exactly that on it and selling it as a pdf on here. Is that a bit tight? I was not going to charge much about £1 or so. It would also have growing distances and depths etc.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Brill idea Andy I'll have one. I also use a book called Allotoment Gardening (an organic guide for beginners) by Susan Berger. Its very easy to read section 1 tell you about tools and ground prep. Section 2 has an a-z of veg and a month by month guide. It tell you what to sow and what should be ready to harvest. Bonus it printed on 100% recycled paper

:flower: Davina

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

The only problem with pdf files is that they can simply be forwarded on to other people, so you may find that someone might buy it and then just pass it on to others... obviously none of the Ishers would do that though so should be fine.

Will you include regional variations for us lot in the frozen north??
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What to plant when?

LauraT wrote:Is there a list anywhere of what vegetables to plant at what time of year? :?
I use this site (and books)

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gardenguide/index.php - its not a list per se but it does give you a guide for the months. Its also a fantastic site full stop. There is an organic section.

Hillbilly
Living the good life
Living the good life

Shirley

They are both good sites HB... am just looking at green manures to sow on the front bit of grass/weeds - thinking red clover, after looking at the garden organic site... it grows here anyway and we can make wine with it when it flowers :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Cheezy

Does any one use the cycles of the moon to plant stuff?.

When I receive my seeds from the supplier they include a luna chart.

But I'm buggered If I know what I'm supposed to do with it!.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Shirley

Cheezy...

Where do you buy your seeds from?? Would love to learn more about planting by the moon.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is also called biodynamic gardening. HEre is a book on it

I have heard that it really works well, in fact I have not heard anyone say a bad thing about planting by the moon. Never tried it myself as I always forget and in the seeds go before I give it a second thought.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Chickpea

I once heard a theory that when humans were hunter gatherers they operated by the cycles of the moon. When the moon was full conditions were good for night hunting (you could see where you were going) and humans killed animals and had meat to eat. When the moon was new you would just trip over a lot at night so instead you gathered berries by day and rested at night.

But when humans became farmers they operated by the cycles of the sun, you plant in spring and harvest in summer and autumn and rest in winter and these are all parts of the solar cycle not the lunar cycle.

There was also a lot of claptrap about the lunar cycle being the feminine cycle (because of the length of the menstrual cycle I guess) and hunter gatherer society was allegedly matriarchal (assumed to be a Good Thing). Whereas the solar cycle is a male cycle and farming societies are patriarchal (a Bad Thing, obviously). But apart from that it was an interesting idea I thought. Sorry if I'm calling it claptrap when it's right up your street but it's the kind of thing that turns me right off.

PurpleDragon

I have heard of harvesting relative to moon cycles.
It is something to do with the water in the plants, and tidal forces apparently.
You'd need to ask someone who knows all about it though, coz I don't! :?
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

chadspad

A long-time gardener on the Chelsea Flower Show programme only grows things by the moon. He said if you plant things at a certain time, apart from watering the plants in, you wont have to water them again - which with the water shortages has gotta be a good thing eh?

Theres plenty of links about it if you do an internet search. Heres a brief explanation:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neal.oxborrow/Lunar.htm

I have a few friends that practice wicca and they all swear by lunar gardening - I shall have to ask some more questions!

PurpleDragon

Wow - fascinating! Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it, and shall give it a go.

Frankly, my produce this year has been so poor I will try anything once :wink:
PurpleDragon
~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no snooze button on a hungry cat

Cheezy

Shirlz2005 wrote:Cheezy...

Where do you buy your seeds from?? Would love to learn more about planting by the moon.
Ahh as ever that would be:

www.seedsofitaly.com

And I promise I'm not on commission!.

I've heard a lot recently, and I saw on the big dig one of the allotment holders did an experiment. He planted in the same bed the same potatoes, but at slightly different luna days (some on the waning moon some on the cresent moon, only a matter of a week apart.) , and everyone was amazed at the difference.Being a scientist I take the open minded approach, but the Italians (Romans)have been doing it for centuries, and they are certainly more in touch with seasonality and nature. Here a summary of the chart that comes with my seeds (it's only a double credit card sized bit of cardboard with a calinder on but seems to have sparked a debate!.)
Sumary cresent moon periods are all other days not mentioned!
August
Wanin moon period 9th to 22nd
September
Wanin 7th to 21st
October
Wanin 7th to 21st
November
Wanin 5th to 19th
December
Wanin 5th to 17th

Perhaps an ssish experiment should be organised!
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli