Cutting back hardy herbs ???

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
littlenikki
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53
longitude: 2

Cutting back hardy herbs ???

Hi guys,

I`m in need of a little advice.

I have some large half-barrels of hardy herbs such as sage, rosemary etc. They are rather large at the moment and in full flower.

I want to cut them back to keep some sort of order but am unsure as to the correct time to do this. I assume i wait until the flowers have died back so the bees can take full advantage.

I`m dreading doing it at the wrong time and killing them off as they supply my kitchen and save me quite a bit of cash.

Thanks in advance.

Nikki x

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Cutting back hardy herbs ???

The Rosemary I would leave till after flowering then take tip cuttings and make more!
The Sage normally is pretty hard to kill, and a good strong prune now of say 1/3 rd of the old wood would be fine.
Both like pots, free draining, not waterlogged in winter.
When you prune either if you don't want cuttings, blitz the fresh with a bit of water put in ice cube tray, freeze put in marge pots and keep in freezer, great for adding a cube or two to cooking when low on fresh.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

littlenikki
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks boboff, i`ll take your advice with the cutting. I`ve already got my secateurs sharpened for the task.

I`ve tried to propogate from cuttings but had no success with rosemary or sage, i only managed the thyme.

I freeze like you say, it`s a great way of saving herbs for a rainy day, the kitchen smells so fresh when chopping.

daz101
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Another way you can regenerate woody herbs when they get leggy such as rosemary and lavender is to bury (layer) them. Not so easy in a barrel but still do-able. Take your cuttings as a back up, but you may be able to pin branches down at or just below soil level in a spiral fashion and if you have enough room put an inch of soil or whatever over the top and prune off most of the unsightly bits leaving some green on for the plant to photosynthesise. Once you get new shoots at the base cut off the remaining protruding wood. Rosemary cuttings will root in just water on a windowsill. Take young shoots 3" long cut on a leaf node and remove 2" of leaves and pop in water up to half an inch up the stem.

littlenikki
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks Daz, i use this method for other plants so will try it with rosemary.

It`s a good tip for getting the cutting to root in water, i have great success doing this with mint so will give it a go.

I`ll let you know if i`m successful.

Nikki x