Last year's spuds as seed?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
The Prehistorian
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Last year's spuds as seed?

Is there any reason why I shouldn't used the first earlies that still I have int he shed as seed potatoes for this year? They seem to be happily chitting away like mad. And given that this particular variety is £7 a bag from the supplier and I normally use three bags, it would seem mad not to use last years if this is an option? I note that where I hadn't got all of the ones from the year before out of the ground, they managed to grow quite happily last year. If I get a smaller harvest that is not a problem as I always seem to have too many any way.

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Last year's spuds as seed?

I'm just about to read a book on potatoes, after which I'll be an expert ;)

However, I don't see any problem with re-using your own tubers... in fact, surely that is good idea.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

gregorach

There's nothing magic about seed potatoes. Commercially they're separated from "ware" (eating) potatoes to restrict the spread of diseases, but that shouldn't be a problem at a small scale. Better not be, I'll be relying almost entirely on my own store for seed potatoes this year... And some of my best crops have come from volunteers - although they were in the muck heap.
Cheers

Dunc

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of course you can.
I have been using my own saved seed for years, in fact they are probably unique varieties now.
I always sort out the seed I'm going to keep when I dig them in the autumn by selecting the smallish sized ones from roots that produced the best sized and most prolific crops.
The only ones I don't save are the first earlies, mainly because we eat the lot, small ones and all. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

Odsox wrote:Of course you can.
I have been using my own saved seed for years, in fact they are probably unique varieties now.
I always sort out the seed I'm going to keep when I dig them in the autumn by selecting the smallish sized ones from roots that produced the best sized and most prolific crops.
The only ones I don't save are the first earlies, mainly because we eat the lot, small ones and all. :iconbiggrin:

Have done similar with no adverse effects and thinking about it's probably been a practice for many generations before widespread selling of seed potatoes started

The Prehistorian

thanks peeps. Interesting point about selecting those to be stored for seed - have to try that next time.