What are you havesting

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What are you havesting

At the moment; French beans, peas, mange tout peas, broad beans, carrots, summer cabbage*, broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, new potatoes.
Salads; lettuces, salad potatoes, salad carrots and tomatoes.
Fruit; strawberries, gooseberries and rhubarb.

Everything is coming along nicely now including the grass unfortunately, which I seem to be mowing with increasing regularity.
Not complaining though, it will soon enough be winter again.

I'm having a go at making sauerkraut with excess cabbages, not sure if it will be edible or an addition to the compost bin, plus never having tries sauerkraut before, I don't even know if I like it. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

First strawberries - from outside, not even a polytunnel :cheers:

Zoe

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Spring onions, radishes, lettuces of all sorts, coriander, parsley, mint, lemon balm, sage, rosemary, bay, rhubarb, a few strawberries, basil, chives, French tarragon - roll on the runners, tomatoes and courgettes - everything is growing at such a rate, particularly the grass and weeds!

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Odsox wrote:At the moment; French beans, peas, mange tout peas, broad beans, carrots, summer cabbage*, broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, new potatoes.
Salads; lettuces, salad potatoes, salad carrots and tomatoes.
Fruit; strawberries, gooseberries and rhubarb.

Everything is coming along nicely now including the grass unfortunately, which I seem to be mowing with increasing regularity.
Not complaining though, it will soon enough be winter again.

I'm having a go at making sauerkraut with excess cabbages, not sure if it will be edible or an addition to the compost bin, plus never having tries sauerkraut before, I don't even know if I like it. :iconbiggrin:
Hey,...if you don't like the 'kraut, don't necessarily chuck it---I have a lovely cake recipe that uses sauerkraut. Yes, really!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Funnily enough, when I Googled "sauerkraut" to see how to make it I found quite a few weird recipes, like sauerkraut cookies and sauerkraut fudge.
I suppose sauerkraut cake is not a lot different to courgette cake and carrot cake, so I may well be asking you for the recipe in a week or two.
Tony

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

I will supply it happily anytime!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

today I picked my first huge bowl of salad leaves,radish,spinach and herbs,and a few tiny potatoes because I couldn't wait to taste them !
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

me to big bowl fresh salard for dinner ,
and still so much spinage even made spinage bread today yummy it is to
Darn that Wabbit

Poochy Pie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Not a lot, am on third attempt with beans and sweetcorn, if it wasnt all the heavy rain that got to them it was the snails and slugs, a whole tray of dahlia destroyed overnight, I think word is out I am running a snail and slug b&b!!!

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Poochy Pie wrote:Not a lot, am on third attempt with beans and sweetcorn, if it wasnt all the heavy rain that got to them it was the snails and slugs, a whole tray of dahlia destroyed overnight, I think word is out I am running a snail and slug b&b!!!
:hugish: Same here. My poor courgette plants were looking so healthy, then they were just skeletons. Same with my peas. It's been a perfect year for slugs.

Poochy Pie

At least someone is enjoying this rather cold damp weather!!! I saw in a newspaper yesterday that we are likely to have similar weather for the next 3 months, may have to rethink my whole veg patch. I can just tell that all the seedlings both veg and flowers are crying out for some sunshine (including myself!)

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ugh! Well, fingers crossed they're wrong. I'm just concentrating on filling the greenhouse. It may just be a cheap thing that'll only last this season, but so glad I bought it. My veg patch is a complete disaster area.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

first of my wild strawberries goose berries more salard more spinage
Darn that Wabbit

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

chickenchargrill wrote:I'm just concentrating on filling the greenhouse. It may just be a cheap thing that'll only last this season, but so glad I bought it. My veg patch is a complete disaster area.
I really do sympathise.
You will definitely find your greenhouse is a life saver, any protection you can provide is a boon.
I bought a polytunnel 5 years ago after enduring a couple of dismal summers and found it sooo useful (which surprised me) that I got another one a couple of years later. Now I grow just about all my vegetables in there, all year round, and when I go in either one at the moment it's like walking into another world.
This year I lashed out and bought a course of nematodes to treat the slugs and that worked well too, it hasn't killed them all but it has severely reduced their numbers and of course it's a slow process for them to repopulate a polytunnel as they can only get in through the door.

At the moment I'm harvesting a little gem lettuce every day, beets, turnips, spring onions, carrots, courgettes, peas, broad beans, broccoli, new potatoes and soon my runner beans will start. I doubt if I could have grown any of those outside this year, especially the peas and beans, with all the gale force winds and damaging downpours we've had for the last three months.
Tony

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Lettuces, new potatoes, zuchinni, and this morning I picked a five gallon bucket of green beans.