Comfrey

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
hedgewizard
A selfsufficientish Regular

fab, just fab. We're not allowed to sell comfrey ointment in the UK though. Anyone know why?

Shirley

Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewizard

New I'd seen something. All internal uses of comfrey are banned because it contains pyrrolidazine alkaloids (liver toxins). External preparations have to be licensed as medical products, which makes them expensive. On the internet of course, someone might be selling stuff that's not entirely kosher!

ina

hedgewizard wrote: All internal uses of comfrey are banned because it contains pyrrolidazine alkaloids (liver toxins).
:shock: Does that go for livestock, too? Just found a place where it grows wild (much bigger plants than the ones I planted last year), so I picked a bundle. Gave it to the goats when I got home together with other herbs/weeds that they like - they knew what they had, picked all the comfrey out first!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

hedgewizard

don't know, but had a quick surf and found this. Doesn't mention comfrey, so presumably it's safe. Humans and goats are VERY different!

kimmysmum
Tom Good
Tom Good
Location: Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. Sub-Tropical Climate

I have several Comfrey plants. I think 7 to be exact I have just put the sides up for a Comfrey patch as they are all in pots.
How much do you give the Chooks at a time????
LET'S ALL ENJOY THIS ADVENTURE WE CALL LIFE

Jack

Gidday

These days they want to ban anything that is good for you because some people are stupid enough to try to overdose on anything.
Cheers
just a Rough Country Boy.

yugogypsy

Comfrey

Our chooks barely pick at comfrey, they prefer kale and chard, the horse and donkey eat a few leaves a week, which leaves us a tremendous amount to dry for tea or making fertilizer with.

What I'm wanting to do with it is make a poultice and stick it on a stubborn friend of mine with a sprained ankle that won't heal!]

:cheers: Lois

Jack

Gidday

Well I have cured all sorts of things with comfrey. Usually just boil in as little water as I can till really soft then when just cool enough slap it on and hold in place with a bandage soaked in the juices.
Cheers

ina

I have comfrey ointment that's meant for horses and dogs... Works well enough for me.
Ina

Jack

Gidday

If I remember right, the reason all the talk about banning comfrey, is that some people heard how good it was and then they learned that the roots are even more concentrated so they were eating large quantities of comfrey root and like anything they over dosed and damaged their livers.

You can use as much as you like externally and it won't hurt you but just don't go sill on the amounts you take internally. A few cups of the tea and a bit of leaf with your veges can only do more good than anything.
Cheers

ina

Jack wrote:Gidday
You can use as much as you like externally and it won't hurt you but just don't go sill on the amounts you take internally.
I solemnly promise not to eat the ointment! :mrgreen:
Ina

caithnesscrofter
Living the good life
Living the good life

comfrey is a great plant & great medicine.

If comfrey ointment is banned they better tell Bert's Bees quick! :)

Cotswold also sell comfrey leaf as a tea and every herbalist I know would recommend a fracture patient to take comfrey leaf tea so, I'm not sure about the banning. Is it maybe just government recomendation?

Besides, I'm living proof comfrey won't kill you. I'm currently taking quite a bit with my broken ankle.

Salves are good to use with comfrey and you can either heat infuse for an hour or two in just the oil or cold infuse for two weeks a mixture of leaf and root in olive oil (or any other you prefer) and then melt with beewax, usually 250ml : 30 g (oil to beeswax) is a good ratio. Make sure and add some Vitamin E or grapefruit seed extract for a preservative. (I would add at least a 1/4 teaspoon or 2 capsules VIT E to the ratio above) A few drops of essential oil at the very end of heating makes it smell nice too!

However, salves are made to sit on the skin and I think comfrey is better going into the skin so, even just making a tincture out of leaf, root or even better leaf and root is better. If you have a good supply of leaves just bash up some fresh leaves and fill a jar (not tightly) and pour on a dollop of boiling water and shake (dollop here= 3-5 tablespoons?) then when it cools top up with vodka. Give a good shake every morning and night for two weeks and keep in a dark place. Strain and store and rub in as needed. This keeps indefinately.

But, if you like cream AND potency I would certainly do a cream using a strong comfrey tea as the water part, a comfrey infused oil as the oil part plus add comfrey tincture into the mix with a bit of beeswax and few butters to make it silky and essential oils for good smells! This one is bit more difficult and you need more stuff like an emulsifier and really good preservative in the right amount as water based stuff rots quickly unless refridgerated but, even then.. but, creams soak into the skin and a recipe like this would be potent and effective. I think I'll try this after the cast comes off actually!

hedgewizard

No, you're just proof that it hasn't killed you YET. I just checked Hansard and there is a VOLUNTARY ban on tablets and capsules only - the ointments etc are fine - and I rang a friend who's a herbalist and she said "comfrey tea is fine but don't overdo it because there have been reports of fatalities."

I was wrong when I said all internal uses were banned, and thanks for the ointment link!
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

Peggy Sue

Any idea what range of things comfrey is good for. My horse has arthritus in his legs- will that help? The vet want me to spend £120 on Glucosamine he sells but it hasn't worked and I'm not rich enough to do that every 3 months!
Just Do It!