First early spuds are in

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

First early spuds are in

Well, I managed to get my early potatoes in today. It's about 2 weeks later than I usually plant them but considering the weather we had this winter I suppose it's not too bad. They will probably catch up and still be ready by the end of May.
I really love the soil I have here ... after gardening on clay for years, the soil here is lovely and light and is what they call "free draining and moisture retentive".
I didn't believe it existed, didn't see how it COULD exist, it's an anachronism, but that's what I've got now.
Anyway, I stuck the soil thermometer in about 4 inches this morning and it said it was 8 degrees C, so I dug enough for three rows of earlies, knocked it down to a nice tilth and got them in in double quick time.
Now all they have to do is grow.... I've got plenty of butter ready and the mint is shooting nicely. :wink:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Rosie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: First early spuds are in

Frozen soil all day here so no chance of planting spuds yet

pelmetman
A selfsufficientish Regular

I've got soil envy :angryfire: :whax: This is me trying to get our soil to a fine tilth :lol:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

Still too cold here. Had a couple of lovely warm sunny days last week but now we're back to frost and bitterly cold winds.

Also I rubbed the early shoots of my spuds as per a tv programme about the Jersey growers and the new ones are slow to replace them. They do look stronger though.

Millymollymandy

My soil is free draining and moisture retentive too, in winter, when it rains a lot. :lol:

Can dig it 24 hours after having 30mm of rain, it's that free draining, but still moist!!!

Why is it though that my maincrop and 2nd early spuds are too far ahead with the chitting, yet the 1st earlies are behind? :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Julysea
Tom Good
Tom Good

Soil still frozen every morning here too. I'm itching to get on with some planting but there's still too much frost and the ground only thaws for around an hour after 1pm. Brrrrr.
Liz

becks77

My earlies arn't even sprouting yet, might have to move them to slightly warmer, they ar in an unheated greenhouse at the mo, however no hope of getting them in the ground anyhow...still froze!
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"

citizentwiglet

Blimey, if you lot down South are still waiting to lose the hard frost, by the looks of it us lot in Scotland won't be planting until August......... :roll:
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Millymollymandy

Driving round the countryside here you wouldn't know it was the 2nd week of March, it still looks like January. Not a daff or any blossom out yet, only snowdrops and a few primroses. :(

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'd been debating over whether to put some fleece over the soil and finally bought some yesterday. Don't know if it's any good - I got it from Poundland.
1.5 x 5 m for a quid.

Anyway I'm fed up of waiting because I really need to get the earlies growing as I'm already planning the follow on crop for that space. Also am going to need the space indoors where I'm chitting for seedlings and potting on.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:Driving round the countryside here you wouldn't know it was the 2nd week of March, it still looks like January. Not a daff or any blossom out yet, only snowdrops and a few primroses. :(
It's going to be a very short spring for most people this year.
The weather will turn warm and the daffs and other spring flowers will be out and over in a week or so.
I hate that.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Millymollymandy

Odsox wrote:
Millymollymandy wrote:Driving round the countryside here you wouldn't know it was the 2nd week of March, it still looks like January. Not a daff or any blossom out yet, only snowdrops and a few primroses. :(
It's going to be a very short spring for most people this year.
The weather will turn warm and the daffs and other spring flowers will be out and over in a week or so.
I hate that.
So do I, it was like that when I lived near Geneva. Half the spring flowers frazzled by the time they'd got near to flowering. I have loved the 4 month long springs here in Brittany from Feb to end of May. Oh well.

Anyway I went to hoe my veg patch because the evil winds have brought really low humidity :roll: which has dessicated everything so I thought it would be a good opportunity to get it all hoed and raked and fine tilthed etc whilst it is dry. Only to find the soil is frozen just under the surface! :lol:

Harasimow
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Meant to put a few 1st earlies in myself today but I forgot. Ah well always tomorow.

Silver Ether

We are hopeful for next weekend ... I need the fella to do the big dig ... my back isn't happy :( then I shall be off ... the ground was more like it today so fingers crossed.
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

pelmetman

Hi de Hi
First nice day this year. Haven't planted my spuds yet, only growing Charlotte this year as they were the only one's that didn't get the blight or eaten by the slugs. Plus they make excellent roast potatoes and are good for salads etc. haven't tried them for chips but will try this year. Can't remember are they main crop or first earlies? Any way I'll bung them in if this weather carries on for a week or so :cooldude:
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy