Sweetcorn

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
chadspad
A selfsufficientish Regular

Sweetcorn

For the past 3 years I have grown sweetcorn which hasnt been the most productive of crops with perhaps only 1 decent cob on each plant. Having seen the fields here that are full of maize and how closely together they plant them, literally a couple of inches, Im wondering whether Ive not planted them close enough in the past and theyve not pollinated properly. However, when Ive looked up info about growing sweetcorn its says to plant them 35cm (1 site) and 18 inches (another site). Just wanted to know what the rest of you do please?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Re: Sweetcorn

Blimey, I grow mine about three feet apart and usually get about 3 decent sized cobs and several smaller ones, as in a normal year they grow pretty darn big and spread out.

But that's only after I get the bloody things to germinate!!! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: Sorry, having a BAD time this year with a really naff packet. :roll:

Have you looked close up at the fodder maize? It doesn't have much in the way of cobs at all, least round here it isn't grown for the cobs but for silage of the entire plant.

I was wondering when you were going to turn up and talk about sweetcorn, Wendy! :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

chadspad

Then Im glad I didnt disappoint M3 :lol:

Ive had a poor germination rate this year too - bought several types from Ebay but not many have come up and theyre weaker than previous years. Its not looking good so far. Have just bought another packet from local garden centre (cost a fortune mind!) to try a later crop too.

The maize here is usually full of cobs cos Im always so jealous of the crops!!

Oh, so you plant yours far away and that works too. Now im really confused :scratch:
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Millymollymandy

Why not try an experiment and plant some really close and some further apart than you normally do and see what happens? Then report back to us of course! :lol:

chadspad

Sounds like a good plan :thumbright: Will let u know

Mainer in Exile

I've found that if I plant too close together, the pollen lands on leaves instead of silk and I get a poor crop with a lot of undeveloped kernels on the cobs. Pollination is also bad if the plants do not have enough water.
"The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command"
-J.R.R. Tolkien

chadspad

Yes that would definitely make sense. I wonder how the farmers here get awy with planting them so closely then. Reckon ive done mine far too close now and they dont like being moved do they? :(

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

mine are looking pathetic anyway, I doubt they'll even get near pollunation stage, we've had far too much rain & not enough sun since I planted them, so it won't really matter how far or close together I've planted them!! :roll: Oh well there's always next year I suppose!

Anyone got an surefire ways to give them a boost? They're only about 3 inches tall at the moment & getting a good pasting by the slugs every evening so the leaves they do have look tatty. I've chucked a load of pelleted chicken manure on them today in the hope it may give them a much need growth spurt!
Jo

Do the best that you can do & be the best you can be

Millymollymandy

I've just sown another 9 but from a different packet this time. I know you are not supposed to but anything is better than nothing! :roll:

gunners71uk

ours will go out in the next week or so our sweetcorn is a bout 5 inches high it dont pay to put them out till last week in may or start of june i put them about ft apart and my neighbour has hers diagonally opposite we find that it works well that way.

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

yes, I got a bit too eager when we got that flush of hot weather at the end of April, they've sat there looking sorry for themselves ever since!! Oh well, you live & learn don't you! :geek:
Jo

foodinistar
Tom Good
Tom Good

How many plants have you been growing?

My 3 x 2 block last year (first year, tiny space for all crops) produced 2-3 decent plants in the centre. If I have the space this year (4-6 raised bed frames are still waiting to be sunk in and filled) I will do a much larger block, using all remaining seeds before their viability expires.

Sun, water, soil, nutrients, pollination, root disturbance are all probably factors. It could take a lifetime to learn how to grow all these different damned foods!

BTW, hi Gunners! It's your old mate aka oeokosko!

JulieSherris

foodinistar wrote:.......It could take a lifetime to learn how to grow all these different damned foods!
Ha!! I started 'growing' with my nan at the age of 9... am 48 now, and STILL learning!! :flower:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

chadspad

I have about 30 plants already out there and Ive just sown another 30 odd to see what happens. My friend did hers very late last year and they were perfect - defo worth a try I reckon.

Muscroj
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

oooh, I have plenty of seeds left, I suppose it would be worth getting some more on the go in the greenhouse & I could always plant them out at the end of the month if they look healthier than the ones already out there!
Jo