Planting potatoes when? I am confused!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Planting potatoes when? I am confused!

My potatoes are chitting nicely , i have earlies and a main crop but am confused as to when to plant them.
some say now and some say when the last frost is gone otherwise they will rot.
Can anyone help me out with some good advice please?
Thanks fiona

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Planting potatoes when? I am confused!

Dear Fiona,

We put a few earlies in big pots in the conservatory in January for really early cropping. Otherwise they all go in on Good Friday. (A local tradition around here, like no one puts their runners in until the day after Wickham Fair - end of May. Superstition or traditional knowledge?)

Hope it's been of help,

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Jim
Thanks for that I will wait until Good Friday.
Now!!!!What about the size of the chits?Does it matter how long they are. Mine are about and inch on some?
Fiona

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

So what happens when Easter falls in March? :lol: Now isn't there a rule of thumb for when to start planting, sit down on the soil with your bare bum and if it doesn't freeze your butt off then it's planting time, or something like that? :mrgreen:

I usually plant my spuds about 2nd week April but will be getting them in earlier this year as I'm going away. But I will prepare the trenches in advance so that the deeper down soil will have a chance to warm up.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Big Al

we had this debate over tea and biscuits yesterday at the allotment. Our tats are all in now and the difference between earlies and mains etc is when you pull them out. It was good friday to plant in ye olden days only because the ground was frozen and cold but now with the changing tempriture it's all to pot. If the ground is workable bung them in if that helps.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for that advice,I guess it may also depend what part of the country you live in as the South is usually a little warmer than the North?
I also heard that if the groung can take a bare bum sitting on it without feeling too cold it is OK!!!!!

Big Al

matowakan wrote:Thanks for that advice,I guess it may also depend what part of the country you live in as the South is usually a little warmer than the North?
I also heard that if the groung can take a bare bum sitting on it without feeling too cold it is OK!!!!!

If your bum id cold then fart and it will warm the ground up a bit.....

Sorry acting my shoe size again
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

That one made me chuckle - I suppose I could eat a load of baked beans......!!!!

Moonwaves
Tom Good
Tom Good

The tradition in Ireland is to plant after Patricks Day (17th March). Or at least it's supposed to be very naughty to plant before then. Or something. :lol:
livingthesimplelifeiwant.blogspot.com

jim
Living the good life
Living the good life

They'll still go in on Good Friday, no matter when Easter puts in an appearance. Like I said, superstition or traditional knowledge .....

Love and Peace
Jim
The law will punish man or woman
Who steals the goose from off the Common
But lets that greater thief go loose
Who steals the Common from the goose.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

The tradition in Ireland is to plant after Patricks Day (17th March). Or at least it's supposed to be very naughty to plant before then. Or something. :lol:
'Cos if you plant 'em much earlier than that they may well fall victim to hard frosts.

T'is after St Paddy for me too, & I'm in the East Mids, so our last frosts are as late as May even with climate change, but the really hard frost are usually over by March 17th. If a hard frost is forcast I just cover any foliage with compost

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Peggy Sue

We just had our allotment newsletter and the really experienced gardeners reckon it's worth putting a row of earlies in now and the rest later, thats what we'll do.

I read somewhere time really matters with spuds they never 'catch up' like tomatoes and other stuff if planted late. Mind you we had a lovely crop last year despite having to put them in so late because of the snow, and that snow made me a bit less slap happy about there being 'no real frosts these days round here'.
Just Do It!

MrsD'ville mkII
Living the good life
Living the good life

We use the scientific measure of when we finally get round to it! We need to do masses in the garden over Easter weekend - this is with Mr D'ville fresh from the osteo with tennis elbow and a bust back and me with a 3 month old babe to look after, hey ho.
Raising four from 1 to 17 in ruralmost Herefordshire: http://39again.wordpress.opensure.net/

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for all the tips,all are duly noted!
My earlies I have just done last week and planning the mains in a few weeks.
Fingers crossed.
Another stupid question!!!....How long roughly before i see anything happening with the earlies??!!

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Another stupid question!!!....
There's no such thing. :lol:
How long roughly before i see anything happening with the earlies??!!
... it depends. If it's nice and warm and it's somehat moist but not too wet (in short: ideal) it'll be sooner than when temperatures are on the low side.
I've never timed it, but I put mine in relatively deep (I don't earth up) and it takes a few weeks for them to make their appearance.

Where I bought my potatoes they said to put them in around mid-april (I'm in the Netherlands). But I've also hear people say they always plant them around 1 April.

Good luck,
Jandra