what are you sowing?

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: what are you sowing?

jings crivens - you're all sooooooooooo organised :cheers: - I'm green with envy :sad8:

So far all I've done is:
lots of thinking about it :roll: (I'm good at that)

my rhubarb is through and my mints, sage, thyme and strawbs are all starting to show signs of life again (they're lazy gardening though cos i did nothing and they do all the work :mrgreen: )
my garlic and onions which I planted in Dec/Jan seem to be surviving and gowing - yippee

got early spuds in yesty and am trying to dig fast (in for a wee coffee and a rest at t he mo) to get more space ready for rest of spuds
planted coriander, basil, rocket and salad bowl seeds in troughs yesty

and have sent OH to get me 2 fencing posts so's I can get my wires etc up and get my new rasps in - they're currently heeled in, between the garlic and the onions, lol

right - thanks for the inspiration - I am away back to it - raised bed no. 5 here we come.......

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fruitcake, we are about 6 weeks behind Devon in when we can plant things... don't worry about it.

My polytunnel has spinach, peas, mange tout, spring onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, aubergines, peppers, chillis, carrots pumpkins, squashes, courgettes, cabbages, psb, and a few other things... outside I have planted 1/2 the early potatoes, 4 rows of onions, 4 rows of carrots and 6 shallots.... I have 14 more beds to make and a total of 23 to plant up.... I'll get there.... some time.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan - you say all the nicest things :hugish: ta. (but I am coming to raid your polytunnel - mmmmmmmmmmmm - I wants one!!)

OH was skiing last week so it's still been chilly over here (and he v kindly took pix and sent them to me moby when I was at work - how considerate :shock: )

I'm planning on 24 raised beds, some fruit trees (am going to call it the orchard :lol: ) and some soft fruit bushes. I'll be over the moon if I get 1/2 the raised beds done for this season. I've got 10 fruit trees in so far (3 were wedding pressies, 3 were rescue cases from H*meb@$e that OH found - and they have survived although I'm not sure what they are yet as they had no labels :roll: ) and am planning on adding to this. The soft fruit is currently jammed in a wee bit I dug over 1 1/2 yrs ago and I've just been chucking in stuff that folks have given me as cuttings / spares - I plan on digging a proper section (in the orchard :wink: ) and sorting it all out someday - I may even get to eat some of it before the birds get to it as I've not bothered to net yet..........

It's all good fun :flower:

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

red wrote:
pumpy wrote:
red wrote:started to get spuds in, and sowed even more peas. have to stop sowing peas now, until I've planted some of the plants and have trays available again..
Hi Red, here on the east coast (traditionally 2 or 3 weeks behind, in the growing calender), i'm sowing my peas directly into the soil, & the first batch seem to be germinating very well. I reckon the 2nd set will be going in very shortly.
we have a bit of a mice/bird problem here.. we sowed direct last year and netted them, and they germinated and got eaten by mice. So.. alas.. the only way I get peas is to sow in trays first then plant as little plants. time consuming but worth it.
seems like a moggie is required here.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

2+bump
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

i'm probably a bit early to plant much up here but i've done my herb beds and put some onions in pots. dont think we'll manage to get the beds ready for this year, too much other stuff to get ready :(
Looking forward to being sufficientish

JulieSherris

:mrgreen: Someone on another forum sent me a chatty PM & asked what I was growing this year....

BIG mistake!! So... here's what's going into our veggy plot & polyhouse this year...

Turnips,
Swedes,
Cabbages,
Cauliflowers,
Leeks,
Parsnips (well, Parsley Roots)
Beetroots,
Tomatoes,
Centriflor Tomatoes,
Runner Beans,
Broad Beans,
Peas,
Onions,
Scallions,
Carrots,
Yellow carrots,
Radish,
Lettuce,
Strawberries,
Blackcurrant,
Raspberries,
Rhubarb,
Potatoes, 5 tyres done, several more to do yet....
Oca (a potato-like tuber)
Courgettes, (yellow ones, courtesy of Muddy Witch xx)
Brussel sprouts,
Cucumbers, plus mini-cukes from Real Seed.....
Melons,
Sweet Yellow Peppers,
Sweet chocolate peppers....
mini kiwi vines on the way...
Gooseberry bushes also on the way
We also have apple, pear & plum trees in the garden, plus a newly planted cherry tree.

The thing is, when I read the list, it absolutely exhausts me! And who is going to eat it all????????

More importantly, who's going to be doing all the cooking.... :pale:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Claripup
Tom Good
Tom Good

JulieSherris wrote:/snip

The thing is, when I read the list, it absolutely exhausts me! And who is going to eat it all????????

More importantly, who's going to be doing all the cooking.... :pale:
Can I volunteer please :geek:

I love cooking... and eating... it's a good combination of things to love I think :wink:

Chicken6
Tom Good
Tom Good

Annpan wrote:Fruitcake, we are about 6 weeks behind Devon in when we can plant things... don't worry about it.

My polytunnel has spinach, peas, mange tout, spring onions, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, aubergines, peppers, chillis, carrots pumpkins, squashes, courgettes, cabbages, psb, and a few other things... outside I have planted 1/2 the early potatoes, 4 rows of onions, 4 rows of carrots and 6 shallots.... I have 14 more beds to make and a total of 23 to plant up.... I'll get there.... some time.
Is your poly heated as I wasn't sure if I could put my peppers in yet. They are getting big now about 2025cm tall on the 6/7 set of leaves and look study. Last night the temp dropped to 7.5 degrees but as you know the day time temps are ideal.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nope, it's not heated. I have the peppers (and other delicate seedlings) double wrapped as it were. they are planted in small yogurt pots and have bigger yogurt pots upturned on top, making a mini-private cloche. They are doing well, though they have been at the 2 leaf stage for some time. maybe as much as a month since they first sprouted.

They don't seem to mind the cold, we have definitely had around 1 or 2oC since the peppers have been in there.
This is my first year with a tunnel, so it is all a learning curve :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

JulieSherris

Claripup wrote: Can I volunteer please :geek:

I love cooking... and eating... it's a good combination of things to love I think :wink:
Ha! The spare room is made up ready........ :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

Chicken6
Tom Good
Tom Good

Annpan wrote:Nope, it's not heated. I have the peppers (and other delicate seedlings) double wrapped as it were. they are planted in small yogurt pots and have bigger yogurt pots upturned on top, making a mini-private cloche. They are doing well, though they have been at the 2 leaf stage for some time. maybe as much as a month since they first sprouted.

They don't seem to mind the cold, we have definitely had around 1 or 2oC since the peppers have been in there.
This is my first year with a tunnel, so it is all a learning curve :flower:
I'll hold on until the temp rises to over 10 degrees at night. The problem I have is that I don't live close enough to my plot to be able to nip down and tuck them up each night.

This is also my first proper year with the poly as we didn't have it up in time for spring last year but I did well over winter although didn't make the best use of the space. This year I'm doing well, the other plot holders keep having a nose and you can tell that they are surprised how well the crops are doing. I have peas,dwarf french beans,radish,lettuce,spring onion,beetroot,spinach,40 strawberry plants in pots, 60 tomato plants in pots and seedlings of leeks, broccoli,cabbage,celeric and celery.