Growing peppers in an unheated greenhouse in the UK

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.

Growing peppers in an unheated greenhouse in the UK

Hello, I want to grow some pepper plants next year. I have a greenhouse but I can't afford to heat it. Can I grow them and when should I think about starting them off?

Elderflower
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Peppers

Hello Guest! I had a smashing crop of peppers in our unheated greenhouse last year. They grew lovely and big and also ripened to a rich red. I started them off in trays and then pricked them out as usual. Can`t remember the exact time but it was just what it said on the seed packet! We had enough to share them with the neighbours.
Good luck!
Learn to love - love to learn

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day All,

While I haven't tried it myself, I have heard of people building a compost heap in the greenhouse, then putting the flats/punnets etc on top and using the heat from the compost to keep the seedlings warm :D
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Growing peppers in an unheated greenhouse in the UK

I bought some pepper seeds from Real seeds called Nigels outdoor, has anyone else grown this one, unfortunately, it failed because I was a bit preoccupied with other things, apparently it grows outside in their test gardens in Wales, would appreciate any info

sleepyowl
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have grown peppers outdoors & have absolutely no problems with them, I'm not sure what the cultivar was but it was an F1 hybrid
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

E-P
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

this year was the first time ever that I grew my own veggies. We had 6 or 8 (can't remember) sweet pepper plants in an unheated greenhouse with several holes in it. In addition to that we sow them too late and when I removed the grow head (to make it grow more bushy) I stupidly pinched off the whole grow head instead of the very tip :D It took the plant about a month to recover from that.

Regardless of this disastrous start we got 2.5kg of green peppers - so the answer is yes you can!

Next year I am expecting 70% increase in yields :cooldude:

dave45

FWIW I have been trying to grow peppers in my unheated greenhouse for the last 4 years... I find them VERY hard to start off from seed. Tried starting from feb thru may... no consistent results. they either fail to germinate or do so then hardly grow for months. btw 3 years ago I did try using a heated seed tray. Zero germination. I've tried lots of different varieties but can't find any common factor. Once hot summer days kick in they tend to spurt into growth, and the plants and fruit can last into November. This years strange result is that the Californian Wonder variety that in previous years grew into plants about a meter high with full, apple-sized peppers - well this year the plants are a foot high and the peppers are walnut sized, but perfectly formed, red and green. And the plants are still green and healthy this week and still peppers ripening. Greenhouse max min temps this week: +27C to -2C.

Tomato crop in the same greenhouse has been bumper this year... pulled all the remaining plants up last week and cropped about 3kg of green tomatoes to try and ripen indoors. Tomato plants tend to suffer the cold before pepper plants in my experience.

bonniethomas06

They are definitely good in a cold greenhouse - I had some great peppers a couple of years ago, Romanas from bought seed and the best were Piccolinos - mini pointed peppers about the size of a plum, which grow quickly and best of all you can pick, roast and stuff with cream cheese. Mmmmmm
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

sleepyowl

Dave I started mine off in the house, maybe it has something to do with the humidity as well as the heat
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

Romy_09
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nice post

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think it depends a lot on the micro-climate where your greenhouse is. I have only a tunnel in a field, it's exposed and chilly, catches frosts badly and cold winds from all directions. If you are in a sheltered spot in a town (but not too shady) the temperature will be several degrees higher most of the time. To grow them successfully from seed it's useful to have a heated propagator or somewhere warm inside to germinate and grow them on. Alternatively you could buy plants in April or May which gives you a head start. They should do well if there's plenty of light around, but do take ages to ripen. If you want them red (or other coloured) be prepared for a long wait after they've grown to full size.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

jamesintayside
Tom Good
Tom Good

So true about the micro climate - one house near us has a great garden just faces the right way and is sheltered.
my inspiration a great blog http://tinyallotment.wordpress.com/

VM
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

We have never had problems with germination - start them in a propagator. And the plants do fine, but we have never managed to get red peppers, just lots of green ones. They are wonderfully fresh-tasting, but still a bit sad not to have red ones. Previously we were growing them in a large polytunnel at our Manchester allotment. This year, in Lincolnshire, they are in a tunnel at a friend's place, which is probably a bit more sheltered than the allotment was. One day we will have a tunnel again in the garden, which is sunny and sheltered - maybe we'll have red peppers then!
Flat Earth, Big Sky - blog about moving from city to country, life on the edge of the Lincolnshire fens - http://vmarris.wordpress.com