Plastic fruit and vegetable tubs

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Plastic fruit and vegetable tubs

I seem to be developing a collection of little plastic tubs, you know the kind that mushrooms, strawberries etc come in. Our council will not recyle them and I have plenty of pots for my plants. So what can I do with them? I have heard of people giving them back to mushroom growers but I don't know any.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hay331
Tom Good
Tom Good

plastic tubs

I have used them for freezing fruit in. They are better for freezing soft fruit than bags as the fruit doesn't get so bashed about, so perhaps any surplus veg could be frozen in them. I am going to start storing any up now in readiness for my bumper crops (I am an optimist!). :mrgreen:
regards
hay331

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: plastic tubs

hay331 wrote:I have used them for freezing fruit in. They are better for freezing soft fruit than bags as the fruit doesn't get so bashed about, so perhaps any surplus veg could be frozen in them. I am going to start storing any up now in readiness for my bumper crops (I am an optimist!). :mrgreen:
good Idea, unfortunatley my freezer space is smaller than a shoe box, you can have my boxes if you like :wink:
and...... Twitter

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Plastic tubs

They are problematic :?

I use most of mine as trays for pot plants (I don't have many at home but I'm lucky enough to have quite a few at work) and even found homes with other people for a couple for that reason.

I also use them as mini-propagator lids for seed sometimes. If you have a matching pair then you've got seed tray and propagator lid with no hassle.

We try and buy organic fruit and veg if it's available, which is why we get more than we would like - supermarkets seem less inclined to offer organic produce loose, although I suppose buying it loose would just move the problem to too many of those clear plastic bags....

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plastic tubs

FluffyMuppet wrote:They are problematic :?

I also use them as mini-propagator lids for seed sometimes. If you have a matching pair then you've got seed tray and propagator lid with no hassle.

......although I suppose buying it loose would just move the problem to too many of those clear plastic bags....
Yep I have used a grape box for a proporgator for my cherry toms has worked a treat :mrgreen:

My local green grocer uses paper bags, as most seem and so I can compost them which solves the problem for most veg. I think I might start taking them to the supermarket and using them there actually. I could save you some up if you want to do the same
and...... Twitter

FluffyMuppet
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: plastic tubs

I could save you some up if you want to do the same
Thanks for the offer Andy, but the supermarket we shop in does not sell their organic produce loose, so we wouldn't need them. Good idea, though :cheers:

Chickenlady
A selfsufficientish Regular

I save them and use them for picking my soft fruit. If you use anything too big it all gets squashed, so they are good. Maybe others on your allotment might find them useful?

Millymollymandy

I'm growing cress on the windowsill on upturned ice cream lids and clear plastic punnet thingies. I keep all sorts of stuff like that for using in the freezer. I keep every single marg pot we ever use and use it when I'm painting small amounts so that I can throw away the marge pot without having to clean it out in the sink ( :oops: which is worse - paint into the water system or chucking a paint filled marge pot into the rubbish?).

We get tons of plastic stuff and packaging in France. Loose veg costs more than pre-packaged. The only paper bags you ever get are from the pharmacy. I keep them for drying seeds in.

shiney

Most of mine go to the school or recycling depot in my area. They do take certain plastics which is great. Schools are usually on the lookout for yogurt pots etc or playgroups.

Just a thought!
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

couscous
Tom Good
Tom Good

I use the plastic boxes as seed trays and propagator lids also. The re-cycling I'm most chuffed about are the large polystyrene boxes you can get either from greengrocers or fish mongers. They are GREAT for modular planting being more than a foot deep. The other benefit is that they are frost proof so you can start off your crops earlier. I have several put next to each other and am growing lettuce, spring onions, carrots, basil, etc. They do look a bit stark, being white, but I'm gonna try painting them with blackboard paint so they look a bit better. The other advantage is that they last for years. Another thing you can do with them is cut the sides off and use them to line a cold-frame.
Lanie
Live better for less

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah I knew you resource full lot would have some ideas :lol:

Actually have been making use of them too now that I have been staring at them for so long, I use one for a container for glue(flour & water). I have been using the shallower one for spouting mung beans.

My girlfreind (emma) has invited a mate with her child to visit tomorrow so I think I will load them up with the rests.

Cheers all :cheers:
and...... Twitter