clothes airer

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
rachelk
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

clothes airer

I have quite a hight ceiling in the kitchen can you still buy the clothes airers that hang from a pully.
Would like to put one over the woodburner

thanks

snapdragon
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

Re: clothes airer

Yes they do - often called Sheila Maid
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

thesunflowergal

There are quite a few places online that sell them. Lakeland do one called a "traditional airer", but other places do them cheaper. I am sure that quite a few people on here have them, and will be able to advise you further.
I looked into getting one but as my ceilings are not the highest and my hubby is 6ft 6, I decided that it might be more hassle than it was worth :lol:
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Up here, in sunny Scotland you can buy the cast iron 'pulley ends', the strips of wood and the 'pulley rope' from good old fashioned hardware stores (not B+Q mind, the proper wee shops) We got our pulleys (ie the wheely bits) from B+Q because the wee hardware shop didn't have them in stock.

But you could just nail some bits of wood together and avoid the need for the cast iron bits.

We call the whole thing a pulley.
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Try fleabay, just type 'ceiling airer' into the search box, there are dozens!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Cloud
Living the good life
Living the good life

I saw an old fashioned wooden one in a shop in Buckingham this lunchtime. Didn't see the price, but I bet it wasn't cheap (given the shop it was it) but it really did looked the part. I was wishing our kitchen roof was tall enough for it.
Image Image
Augustus and Hattie

Urban Ayisha
Living the good life
Living the good life

i know natural collection do a couple of FSC ones but depending on yr budget i would try the above avenues first! my parents have got one and they are so brilliant. they dont have tall ceilings either so they put theirs on the landing over the stairs so there was room. just an idea!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

If you don't have very high ceilings you can always put it where you don't stand underneath. *

Ours is over the sink - that way you can put wet stuff on and it won't damage anything dripping and you don't get the smoke from your stove making all your clothes smell of bonfire night :lol:

*I am, of course, making the assumption that you don't stand in the sink :shock: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

wulf

That's what I'd call an "angel". A wonderful, romantic name for what is actually a very sensible and functional idea (as long as you aren't in a modern, low-ceilinged house).

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

snapdragon wrote:I looked into getting one but as my ceilings are not the highest and my hubby is 6ft 6, I decided that it might be more hassle than it was worth

Same here, as our ceilings are so low you can touch them, but ours (bought off a carboot for £2-50) fits perfectly infront of the chimney breast over the tiled hearth which no one stands on as it has a fire guard around it. It is one of the best things we got esp as we had rather alot of nappies to dry

Well worth the investment...but I would say that having only spent £2-50!!! :mrgreen:

Lorna x

snapdragon
latitude: 51.253841
longitude: -1.612340

I had the iron ends, found put out for rubbish in a house that we were renting years ago. I think I gave them away - would be useful now though - especially with fleece to get dry
Say what you mean and be who you are, Those who mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind
:happy6:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Well, that certainly worked for the google ads. There was a link to a place selling them just now.

Zoe

Mullein
Tom Good
Tom Good

Annpan wrote:Up here, in sunny Scotland you can buy the cast iron 'pulley ends', the strips of wood and the 'pulley rope' from good old fashioned hardware stores (not B+Q mind, the proper wee shops) We got our pulleys (ie the wheely bits) from B+Q because the wee hardware shop didn't have them in stock.

But you could just nail some bits of wood together and avoid the need for the cast iron bits.

We call the whole thing a pulley.
Agreed!

Forget Lakeland and Natural Collection - get yourself to an Ironmonger for the mechanical bits and pieces you need to form a pulley (technical term)

and consider hanging it somewhere other than the kitchen (cooking smells)

On a practical note - think about drying things on hangers from the pulley rather than draped over it. You'll get much more on it and won't have to iron most things (probably)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Ironing? I vaguely remember that :lol: :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ktpie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Wow growingthings, that was a bargain, I've been having a look for one of these and the traditional style airers start at about £30. I'm thinking of getting the Ikea steel version for £12.99, plus I think it is a bit smaller so will fit in easier for us.