Electricity Usage Club

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Electricity Usage Club

Ah yes, I'm with imeasure too. I'll look out for the club, but I couldn't figure out what you could actually do when you were in the clubs?
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

For people who use excel to track there prices and have two price tarrifs such as day and night tarriffs or first "X amount of units" at one price then the rest at a second price here is a formula to blow your minds....

=IF(SUM(A2:C2)<501,SUM(A2:C2)*0.25,(500*0.25)+((SUM(A2:C2)-500)*0.1))

I didn't work it out, a guy called Rashmikant done it for me but it does work.
If you want any explinations then I'll try to do that but it makes life a lot easier ot track the cost of energy.

Alan
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Penny Lane

Are we still doing this?

Well, my usage this past week has been 71 units... I don't know if this is good or bad!
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Penny Lane - what do you use electricity for, that might make it easier for you to compare to other peoples usage.

I am all on electricity (cooking, cleaning, 3 storage heater and 2 plug in heaters) , with a woodburner too for some cooking and most of our heat.

OK.... something is wrong....

last Monday I posted these figures.....
1 - 14771
2 - 05351
Total -22721

I have just taken these readings
1 - 14774
2 - 05351
Total - 22721

Can anyone explain this to me?.... I have read it 4 times to make sure - if this is the result of watching the energy used then :cheers:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

JulieSherris

I'm too scared to look this week, as I've had the little one for a week!!
She gets colds so easily, so I caved in & bought an electric blanket for her bed.... :oops:
But I would have had to get one for when the elderly MIL comes at Xmas anyway..... I know we need the inheritance money, but I don't actually want to create the reason for getting it! :mrgreen:

Anyway... a quick trip to see.......

67084...... so that's 95 units..... :shock:

It'll be interesting to see what it is next week after a 'normal' week in the house... then I can give the daughter a bill for the extra leccy that the little one makes me use :mrgreen:
The more people I meet, the more I like my garden :wink:

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Here are my readings as of today

elec: 45749 - 68 units since 28 November (abt 11 days)
gas: 1294 - 13 units in same period (gas central heating & cooker)

About a month ago Iwas estimating abt 10 units a day use for elec, and 2 for gas. so I am quite pleased. I am sure there are things I can do to save. One of the things I want to improve on is not having the tele on as background noise!

I see there have been some interesting links from Big Al since I was last on, so I am now off to investigate.

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello :flower: me again

I have registered on the imeasures site & joined the club. I have input today's readings The downside seems to be that they make their week Monday - Sunday, although I was able to put in the fact that the readings were taken 3 days late...

If i understand right once you have two reads the site will start to make clever comparisons & charts, Looks like it could be fun and may help to be a good motivator to keep making an effort.

Big Al

Annpan wrote:Penny Lane - what do you use electricity for, that might make it easier for you to compare to other peoples usage.

I am all on electricity (cooking, cleaning, 3 storage heater and 2 plug in heaters) , with a woodburner too for some cooking and most of our heat.

OK.... something is wrong....

last Monday I posted these figures.....
1 - 14771
2 - 05351
Total -22721

I have just taken these readings
1 - 14774
2 - 05351
Total - 22721

Can anyone explain this to me?.... I have read it 4 times to make sure - if this is the result of watching the energy used then :cheers:
keep your gob shut but keep some money to one side incase the provider finds out..lol.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

ellie12022 wrote:Hello :flower: me again

I have registered on the imeasures site & joined the club. I have input today's readings The downside seems to be that they make their week Monday - Sunday, although I was able to put in the fact that the readings were taken 3 days late...

If i understand right once you have two reads the site will start to make clever comparisons & charts, Looks like it could be fun and may help to be a good motivator to keep making an effort.
The i measure site is good but be aware that they base their costs on an "average" price so as time goes on your actual costs will vary from those they publish. From memory i think it's 12 p for elec and 5 p for gas but with beaware that there are two measuring units. Older meters are generally in cubic feet and more modern meters are in cubic meters of gas. The difference is very substantial.
The easiest way to check is to look at the meter and it will, or should have on it near the numbers Cft for feet or cm for cubic meters.

My electric for last week was 56 units ( kwh) and gas 23 cft but that equates to 737 kwh at 2.86p per kwh.
I'm using a lot more gas because it's a cold house and I have an even colder wife.
Secret Asparagus binger

Big Al

ellie12022 wrote:Hello :flower: me again

Here's me preaching on how to reduce the power useage and I'm 4/4 in the imeasure carbon club..... bleeding gas boiler, humph.....
Secret Asparagus binger

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello where is everybody today? :flower:

My readings from yesterday that I have put into the imeasure thingy are 45774 elec, 1300 gas. That puts me 2nd in the imeasure club, but really i only have half a weeks use input, so the first proper reads will be next week. (need to look back to see how many units that is in the last week)
I am now writing daily reads on the calendar to keep stock.

I used my tumble dryer at the weekend, & put the thermostat up a couple of degrees to try & keep the house warmer for longer.

Big Al, I hope you mean your wife is cold in tempature! :lol: I'm sure she's lovely!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm scared to look... I have had the electric heaters on lots this week... Though I have also been getting up at 1am to switch dishwasher and washing machine on..... OK I am going to look now.....

Usage since last tuesday
1 - 89
2 - 45

At least the balance is better now, but I do hate getting up at 1, in an unheated house....brrrrrrrrr
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Clara

Annpan wrote: At least the balance is better now, but I do hate getting up at 1, in an unheated house....brrrrrrrrr
Timer plugs?
baby-loving, earth-digging, bread-baking, jam-making, off-grid, off-road 21st century domestic goddess....

...and eco campsite owner

ellie12022
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello Annpan

Getting up at 1am?That's dedication! :dave: If I lived near you, I could put them on for you, I very rarely am asleep at that time.

I have a clever new washing machine that has a time delay on it, maybe when you need new appliances you can get some like that too.

Clara, Would timer plugs work on large items? I thought you could only use timer plugs with things like lights?

I turned the thermostat up a bit tonight while the heating on, but it is now feeling very cold. (mind you, I only have 1 jumper on at the moment :lol: )

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Clara wrote:
Annpan wrote: At least the balance is better now, but I do hate getting up at 1, in an unheated house....brrrrrrrrr
Timer plugs?
Wouldn't work for our washing machine or dishwasher sadly :( - built in old sh1tty dishwasher, I don't even have the instruction book and it falls a little bit more through the floor every month or so... and the washing machine is a brand new funky miele... but no timer unfortunately and they both have buttons that are soft press (don't know how else to describe them, but they don't hold in, they just start the programme)
I could do with a timer for the dehumidifier, but since I am up anyway, I might as well switch it on.

Biggest problem with getting up at 1 is that I NEED 8 hours sleep, so I am sleeping in till 9/9.30am every morning and missing all my morning chores :roll:
Ann Pan

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay