In what way are you naughty?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

In what way are you naughty?

I saw something like this on another site once, but unfortunately can't remember where it was. The idea is, you tell people what you do that you shouldn't, or what you don't do that you should - that is, your environmentally unfriendly habits that you can't give up. It works because 1. you feel better for getting it off your chest, 2. people might be able to give some advice to help you kick your bad habit, and 3. other people might have been doing the same as you all their lives without thinking about it, and now they have, they might change.

Here's mine:

1. When I need to blow my nose I use tissues or toilet roll, and so do the rest of my family, because I can't stand the thought of handling snotty hankies when I'm sorting out the laundry.

2. I used disposable nappies when my little girl had an upset stomach

3. I resorted to a chemical herbicide to get rid of an elder bush growing out of the side of the house because I couldn't dig the roots out.
Rosey xx

Millymollymandy

1. I smoke (although I did stop for 3 weeks recently :shock: ).

2. I have to go round my gravel drive every month or so with weedkiller, because otherwise I wouldn't have a drive.

3. I have a tumble drier and use it. :lol:

I think I'd better stop at 3. :mrgreen:

eccentric_emma

1. I drink wine from all over the world (I work in an off license and can't resist my discount)

2. We drove a car to Plymouth the other day because it was cheaper than the train

3. I keep buying stuff from Nestle!

Can't think of many more right now, but I think this thread is a good idea!
Off grid retreats, rustic cottages, yoga holidays and more in the midst of nature in Central Portugal

http://www.pureportugalholidays.com

Millymollymandy

Oooh dear yes that's reminded me!

4. Nestle's milk and Nestle Galak white chocolate....... :lol:

starchild
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Forgive me Father for I have sinned:

I buy rice from India that comes in non recyclable foil backed plastic :roll:

I drive a 4x4 :shock: :pale:

I use lots of kitchen roll instead of washable cloths - that stuff is jut so darn handy, isn't it?? :oops:
Follow our family's progress as we work through our zero waste challenge:
http://myzerowaste.com/

For all aspects of greener living
http://littlegreenblog.com/

The Riff-Raff Element

The only REALLY bad thing I have is one of those LPG fired weed destroyers that I use in preference to weedkillers.

Devon Dumpling
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

1) I drive a Seat Leon Cupra - sorry!!!

2) I use weedkiller occasionally.

3) We use tissues and kitchenroll.

I could go on.....

However, we do lots of good things too.....only have one car, OH uses bus and train to get to work, grow veg, recycle, do not have tumbledrier or dishwasher etc, etc......nobodys perfect but at least we are trying!
Oh to be in Devon....

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Things I feel really guilty about:

1. I use Eco Moltex paper nappies on my son at night and when he visits his grandparents because they refuse to use reusables. :(

2. Cremation. Don't want to go into it but I feel bad about it but I couldn't face arranging a burial in an area I don't even know. :(

3. I use "heat in the microwave in 2 mins" rice for convenience but the pouches aren't recyclable :(
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. I use taxi's when I could walk. My excuse is that some of the journey back from town is under a rather dodgey underpass. I should really start using my bike more.

2. I watch telly and go on the computer at the same time. Doing it right now in fact watching mad max. Moving my computer to a proper desk upstairs soon so I won't be able to do that.

3. I own and use a helicopter. - ok that one is a lie. :lol:
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Jobi1canobi
Living the good life
Living the good life

Devon Dumpling wrote:1) I drive a Seat Leon Cupra - sorry!!!
Hey - so do I (Cupra R). I think these are really quite efficient compared to some of the things we could be driving...and I only use it once or twice a week for work - so I make no apologies! (I've had it up to 40mpg by driving at 56mph on the motorway with the lorries).

I do feel guilty about:

1/ Driving from Leicestershire to a seminar near Heathrow airport this weekend because it was cheaper than the train (I couldn't sway Jybson due to the HUGE difference in cost and convenience - and was inclined to agree with him) :roll:

2/ Although we've got our landfill down to a 3rd of what it was - I just realised that we are still not using degradable bin bags - oops! :oops:

3/ Bought 2 pairs of trousers this weekend from Ge0rge at £SD£ without any thought for who had made them/how far they'd travelled/sourcing hemp because I was in a rush. :?
Andy Hamilton wrote:I watch telly and go on the computer at the same time.
Not sure how much it would cost or how long it would take to offset with the savings made from switching the TV off but could you set up your PC to play TV so that you have a small screen in one of the corners that's always on top whilst you do your other stuff on the PC?
Jobi1

"A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." - Franklin Jones.

ina

Still haven't changed to a green electricity supplier. :( (Pure laziness!)

Should have been working in the garden over the last few weeks, since work has quietened down - but can't get my butt moving. :( :(

Still driving into the village once or twice a week for the shopping - should long have unearthed my bike... :( :( :(
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do loads of stuff that I perhaps "shouldn't" but have decided that I refuse to feel guilty for the things I can't do and just feel proud about what I can do...

Sorry guys but life is too short to feel rotten about not using degradable bin bags when 90% of the population wouldn't think twice about sending all their Christmas decorations to landfill every year.

That is not to say that we shouldn't all try harder, and educate others into behaving in a more eco-friendly way but I really don't think it is very healthy to blame yourself for things you find difficult to change.

A few weeks ago I was lying awake at night worrying about having had non-organic meat on a sandwich from subway... once in 3 years. :roll:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Keaniebean

Oh dear my list could be extensive, but I'm mildly content in knowing I'm the greenest person I know. But here are three things I cant change YET.

1. Tumble drier gets used for drying nappies in the wet weather.
2.I havent got insulation in my roof yet :shock:
3. I still cant find meat with packaging that can be recycled so have to throw it in the bin.
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

ina

Annpan wrote:I do loads of stuff that I perhaps "shouldn't" but have decided that I refuse to feel guilty for the things I can't do and just feel proud about what I can do...
Can't say my "failures" are causing me sleepless nights... :lol:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Brij
Living the good life
Living the good life

1) Despite having wee-wipes, I use toilet paper alot... though it is recycled. I also use said toilet paper to clean the loo (everything else is cleaned by cloth)

2) Hair : products. Love to just use the stuff from Lush but I'm not rich enough. And I haven't found a decent home-made conditioner, I need to straighten my hair (I like my fringe, but curly fringes just aren't cool!) and that means I have to use that protecting stuff to stop it from splitting. Said products often come from Australia... they are the cheapest quality products I can find! (the make-up I use doesn't count, each pot lasts forever!)

3) I have a kettle that has to be heated up on a (electric) hotplate. The only mitigating factor in this is that the hotplate keeps the water hot enough for 3 servings. I just couldn't afford to invest in a more eco-friendly kettle.

Now you all know my dirty little secrets, I feel liberated! :wink:
"Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Cree Indian prophecy

My Blogette