WOOD BURNERS

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Louiseh
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re the Jacket Potatoes. sorry I should have said, in Spain you can buy wood burners which are built with an integral shelf so that you can put dishes, plates, and plates with food on the shelf and the heats cook as an oven. My friend cuts large roasting potatoes in half, drizzles some of our organic olive oil over the top of them, and pops them in the wood burner for a couple of hours,. also cuts chorizo sausages into slices and simply pops them onto a heat proof dish and pops them in for 20 minutes and they are lovely!!!!!!

You can simply wrap your potatoes in tin foil and put them straight into the wood burner amongst the coal and they will cook.

My friend does this with artichokes, which grow profusley and are as cheap as chips, I can't stand them myself, but the spanish love them!
They take off loads of the outside leaves, and pour salt into the middle and wrap them in foil and pop them into the oven as well.

Sorry it is so long!
:flower:

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

We cook spuds in ours just like this - we had them this evening 'cos it looks likely to be the last fire we'll have before November now. The children think it's hysterical cooking in fire.

We're getting a wood burning stove for the kitchen fitted during the summer. We already have what the French call an "insert" in the living room that heats that side of the house and a stove in the kitchen will do the other plus hot water. Solar is going in for summer hot water and then we can wave a fond bye bye to the oil boiler, a fond "hello" to the almost €1300 we currently spend on heating oil each year and feel uplifted that we cut our CO2 emissions by about four tonnes per annum too.

And I think they're quite fun.

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Spanish and their woodburners!

possum wrote:
Louiseh wrote:

They also cook on theirs, (slow baked jacket potatoes are fantastic) and heat water, and do many other things as well!
How do you cook baked potatoes on a log burner? (really want to know because our oven is broken)

I wrap my potateoes in foil put them in the fire close but not on the logs and you have the best tasting pots ever :cheers:

possum

doh! pretty obvious, it is how you cook them on a bonfire, I was thinking how could you cook them on the top of the stove. Going to try it this evening.
Opinionated but harmless