Allotment size?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Oldpagan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Allotment size?

What is the average size of an allotment?

How wide, by how long?

This would give me an idea what the yield verses space is when I read what folks are planting and harvesting from their allotment.

Blessings
Geary

Karen_D
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The average size is 300 sq yards or 250 sq metres (10 rods).

Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

Being Countrified, I have never seen an actual allotment, never heed been on one... :oops: (Does admiring them from the train window count??).

That's actually bigger than I imagined them to be - it's about the same size as my tunnel so all in all, I probably cultivate about 6 allotments worth (and growing!)
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

glenniedragon

Mines 25m by 6m ish(resizing has gone on over the years) mine is a 'half plot', our site also has 25mx10-a double plot which costs the grand sum of £10 a year instead of the £7 that I pay.

kind thoughts
Deb

sawfish
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Mine is a 35 x 30 x 25 metre triangle and costs £26 a year as its a double.
~ glasgow dreamer ~

SueSteve
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mines 16m long, 4m across at the top and narrows to 3m across at the bottom.
Costs £12.50 a year.

I would ideally like something 3 times this size!! :wink:

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mines still only a dream :roll:

Welsh Girls Allotment
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've got two plots one is 25 foot by 17 and the other is 27 foot by 17 and it doesn't matter how big it is you will want more space !!

Cheezy

I've got what I think is a half plot it's around 200 sq m (because it's taken 200 sq m of weed suppressant!) its very nearly square and has a nice west facing slope on it which I'm going to try and use a rain harvested gravity irrigation system on.

It costs the kingly sum of £19/Yr and it's the cheapest and most interesting gym I've ever been to! :lol:
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Des
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Coo.

I thought my 10-rods-for-£35-per-annum plot was a fabtastic deal. Same size as GlennieDragon's, but costs five times as much. Didn't realise I was being ripped off... :lol:

Considering the length of the waiting list round our way, there seems to be a lot of people running two plots. I can only assume that there's been a recent surge in interest.

Of course, we're only a short distance from Eastliegh and I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone here of the precedent that was set here recently. I'd hate to think that supply could be cut just as the demand was beginning to rise, but it seems increasingly likely, especially in the South-East. And I'm sure we all know what happens when demand outstrips supply...

Merry

Mine is 10 rods for £15 p.a. with water from our own tap included. We have a long waiting list of around 20 hopefuls but some plot holders with 2, 3 or even 4 plots. One member has 6 adjoining plots that he calls his `estate`. Trouble is - it`s a private site and it`s almost impossible to get a member to give up a plot. Some of them have got the idea that it will be grabbed for building land and they`ll get mega-bucks compensation.
They grabbed the multiple plots in the days when half the site was uncultivated and you couldn`t give plots away. :(

Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmmm - yes, lots of people have two to four plots on our site. seems a bit greedy when some use on of those plots only for storing immense quantities of logs (which arrive courtesy council and so on on the car park) presumably for home fires. However, although 100 on waiting list, many plots are only cultivated one day a year - when they get the 'eviction notice' to cultivate or else!
No idea how big mine is :oops: but it's about £36 pa including water rates (about half and half rent and rates). Surprising how it's difficult to find space for everything, isn't it?

Merry

Crikey! 100 on the waiting list? :shock:
Is it a council site?
Is it run by a committee?
How do people get away with cultivating 1 day a year? :roll:

Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

Council site but very large - maybe 400 plots - inspected once a year, when anyone who clearly has done nothing to their plots are sent a letter giving them -say - 6 weeks to get on with it. Each plot is surrounded with high hedges, though, so cutting those back convinces the 'inspectors' and they don't follow through. Some public spirited bods have set up an allotment committee and are pressing for changes - but lots of nervousness around the recent law case when a council was given the right to sell off allotments for building land. do we make ourselves a pain in the proverbial or not?

Des
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I don't know. I'd say a site with 400 plots, all being actively cultivated by keen, involved people would be a far less attractive target for rogue developers than the same site largely kept unused by a far more sparse tenant base. But I'm no expert.*

I say go for it.

* I thought, for example, that when the council had decided unanimously to reject a planned development as unsustainable, that it would go away. I reckoned without the developer appealing directly to the government and having the decision to reject overturned, and all without any further right to appeal for anybody.

I guess there's more money for the Government in a couple of dodgy blocks of flats than there was in an area of waste ground in a conservation area, then.

Bitter? Me? Well, yes. And not without reason. You still might want to think twice before paying attention to me, though...