So what worked best for you so far

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

So what worked best for you so far

Out of everything I grew this year I would have to say I am most chuffed with the potatoes in tyres controversial :wink: up to 6 tyres and a huge plant.

On the alltoment it would have to be courgettes mine generally look pretty poorly and only give me a few but they are still coming.

- you can go on last years crop for you people down under.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

red
A selfsufficientish Regular

we planted pumpkins where the compost heap used to be. Two huge pumpkins out there- I tried to lift the biggest, but I can't!

we also put a pumpkin plant somewhere else and it was pants. so guess you need good food for pumpkins.

will be eating pumpkin all winter.... :cheers:

wulf

After a late start, my bush cherry tomatoes are actually producing very well at the moment. What I was most pleased about was probably the hanging garden of basil - the upside down tomatoes produced no more than a fruit or two each but the basil was happy with plenty of sun!

Wulf

ps. Post 500!

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

hoorah post 500 good one mate.

My toms upside down are only just flowering, pretty useless result with them really.
and...... Twitter

Chickpea

Courgettes and runner beans were a big success this year. Chickesn have been great, too.

I like the hanging basil plants. I always keep them on the kitchen windowsill because the slugs get them if I put them outdoors, but this looks great. I'm sure it would work for coriander too which has the same problem.

wulf

I may well try coriander next year - I've had little success with it on the ground and I think slugs and snails were to blame.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have had a dreadful year with my veg generally, the only thing that has been good is my sweetcorn, this is is the 2nd year I have tried to grow it. as I live in central scotland my neighbour (Alan, 70 yrs approx knows a lot...) but this year my corn hs been absolutely wonderful, we eat a cob every night and the small ones go to the hens...lucky them!

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

I raher stupidly missed out the part of my post that said "my neighbour Alan laughed out loud them I told him I was growing corn, 'In Scotland?' he said, 'you'll be lucky'.... that proves him wrong!

Shirley

Beetroot!!
Herbs...
salad leaves

squash... lots of leaves but teeny tiny squash on them.

GREENBEAN... HOORAH... you show em!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

greenbean
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Shirlz, I am planning to take a couple of cobs round to him, I can't wait to see his face, he is a lovely guy mind, he'll be very happy for me.

Millymollymandy

Nearly everything! Most pleased, I think, with my onions which are much bigger than last year - I think that is due to putting a seep hose along the rows so they got more water.

I am also very very pleased with my bramble jelly and my elderberry and apple jelly (even though I didn't actually 'grow' them). :mrgreen:

We also are having a very good fruit year.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

hang on did someone say sweetcorn in scotland :shock: That is impressive hats off to you.
and...... Twitter

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

My tomatoes are probably the most prolific crop this year.I sowed loads and planted what I thought were the best ones in the greenhouse. They got badly burnt in the heat but did still produce fruit. However the remainder of the plants (about 16 plants) were planted out to take their chances and have been heavy with fruit for weeks.The seeds were from last years shop bought toms.
The other successful crop has been the runner beans.
I dug a bean trench as directed on the HDRA website and filled it with old kitchen waste over the winter.The beans were seeds bought last year in wilkos sale for about 39p.
The worst crop has been the early carrots which were pitifully small.

dibnah
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

storing and preserving has best for me so far most years I get a glut and alot of hard work goes to waste.That for me is the key to good veg growing is making the best use of the fruits of your labour. Growing the stuff is the easy part doing something with it thats an art. I have also made the best of the wild food with jams and jellys also bought a fruit press and will be trying my hand at cider.

fruit this year was my most pleasing as it was of such good quality and so much of it but that was the weather I think as many people say the same.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

didn't have much luck.

Potatoes grew quite well, and i'm pleased with my citrus trees (they're 3" tall now - and there's about 6 of them!!).

However, in my defence, it was my first year...i have so many plans for next year!

I'm planting lettuces and something else ( i forget what) in smal polytunnels soon, and radishe in the ground, so hopefully, they'll be more successful!!