Winter

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
smithinger
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Winter

Hey there guys just joined the forum, we got our Lottie at the end of April this year and things have been going pretty well (~Apart from Vineweed~ :cry: ) and we were just wondering if anyone could give us some tips about what to grow during the autumn and winter months? We have a greenhouse so if anybody's got any hints or tips that would be great.

Thanks Craig[/b]
Craig

Monty
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hey there,

Greenhouses can be really useful for winter. I'd go for some salads, I think there are some good lettuces which can cope with the cold. Try www.seedsofitaly.com.

Similarly, check out the self sufficientish article on peas because some varieties can be sown in autumn.

Hope this helps.
Weeds make me mad.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Craig :welcomeish:
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello and :welcomeish:

There is a link on this thread that will certainly help you out.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Craig,

Welcome to the forum! Sorry things are a bit different over here, I'm gearing up for spring!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Stonehead

Re: Winter

smithinger wrote:Hey there guys just joined the forum, we got our Lottie at the end of April this year and things have been going pretty well (~Apart from Vineweed~ :cry: ) and we were just wondering if anyone could give us some tips about what to grow during the autumn and winter months? We have a greenhouse so if anybody's got any hints or tips that would be great.

Thanks Craig[/b]
We plant year round and have no greenhouse or polytunnel, just a sun porch for a few tomatoes and starting things off.

The key is to know your local climate, know which plants will over-winter in the worst of your local conditions, and know which varities can be planted when.

As an example, we plant turnips in late August for October picking, winter spinach in late August for winter picking (although they need fleece from late December on), and spring cabbage in the last week of August or the first week of September. The garlic for next year will be going in over the next week or two, as will the autumn planting onions (from sets).

Then the early broadbeans and peas will go in under fleece or cloches in October and November.

Late January is when we plant our first tomatoes in the sun porch.

hedgewizard

It's worth investing in some cloches or fleece, because using or creating microclimates is the way to go. Just take a look in a few seed catalogues to see what you can still get away with, and remember that shielding with cloches etc will extend things by a couple of weeks. Dobies send seedlings ready to plant, but you're a little late ordering - check them out online.