Transplanting rhubarb

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Transplanting rhubarb

I dug up a rhubarb to move elsewhere and found that the root was enormous, like three large carrots close together. The top bit is like a bunch of white buds with brown papery stuff around. I expect it's quite a mature plant. Rather than dig a very deep hole to put it in, can any amount of root be removed and if so, does it need to callous over before planting?

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Transplanting rhubarb

you can trim a bit of the root off, you could also divide the plant up, as it is perennial into two or more sections to replant if you wish to increase your stock. It can be planted straight away after splitting or trimming. Put some good muck in the planting hole and make sure the buds are above the ground, you can give it a good mulch with some well made compost or rotted woodchip

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yup, what she said, although I have to admit to never having much success transplanting it.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Seperate the crowns, re-plant at least 3ft apart along with plenty of (preferably) home-made compost. Be mindful of any incoming cold weather. ....... make some custard, and bobs yer uncle!
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.