dont get carried away with sowing and planting

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
gunners71uk
A selfsufficientish Regular

dont get carried away with sowing and planting

i have noticed on allotments there is always race to be first personally i think its time to hold back weather been unpredictable.i have overwintering caulis in greenhouse, strawbs and sweet peas springcabbage outside along with leeks, parsnips tundra cabbage and broad beans garlic onions . i normally sow first earlys about 15 march, this year it will towards end march, think most of me seeds will be sown in march/april . i notice we getting milder octobers and part november too.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: dont get carried away with sowing and planting

I would second that, I am on another forum where people are 'excited' to get going. Unless you have heated benches, greenhouses or polytunnels, it is very difficult for a lot of people to make a start.

ina

I'm restricting myself to a few things indoors - I always start off broad beans in modules, hoping for an earlier crop... Not enough space on my windowsills, anyway!
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've got a tray of salad leaves on the windowsill and OH has his chillies in two heated propagators. Otherwise everything will wait for a while.
We discovered last year that a batch of March sown tomatoes caught up with the January sown ones in a very short time and were much more robust (presumably due to the better light levels here).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin