Orchid in a jar?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Orchid in a jar?

I bought some reduced price moth orchids yesterday and I'd like to remove one from the plastic orchid pot and put it in a jar, much like this shape and size http://www.amazon.co.uk/165/dp/B00F460W ... 23-6078327. The neck of the jar is a bit narrower than the clump of roots and bark and it is also deeper than the root part of the plant. Am I right in thinking that I'll have to put something in the bottom of the jar first to raise the level of the plant in it so that all the leaves can be out of the jar? If so, what would be better to put in the jar first - perlite, bark, sphagnum moss, or what?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Orchid in a jar?

I'm not sure if it would work, dt.

I know precious little about growing orchids, but I do know two things - they don't like being re-potted much and they like free-draining, orchid compost. I think you only re-pot when they're pretty much root-bound and then into something not much bigger. I don't know if time of year matters or any other factors.

If you're just trying one it might be worth experimenting but I'd fill a jar like that as full as needed, with gravel, to keep the roots in as small an area as possible. But maybe some aquarium gravel might look quite attractive? :dontknow:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

This is what I decided to do. A bit of moss at bottom, made a tube out of (recalling all those times I watched Blue Peter) an old cereal box, popped it in the vase and stuffed the space between it and the vase with more moss, filled the inside with bark chip stuff and slowly drew out the tube. Plant popped in at top and a bit more bark and moss arranged neatly.

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Good job
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln