Growing Sweet Potatoes in the UK

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
MClan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Growing Sweet Potatoes in the UK

I've just been todying out my box where potatoes and onions live and found 2 bags of sweet potatoes that have sprouted. Just shows how often I do that. :oops:

Ayway, I'm prettty sure I can grow them in the UK, but it is still cold out there. Should I put them in growbags in the garage? Outside? Leave them for a while longer?

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Growing Sweet Potatoes in the UK

There's information about growing sweet potatoes here:

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-g ... t-potatoes
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Growing Sweet Potatoes in the UK

I grew sweet potatoes last year, it was my third year having a go and I grew them this time in a water tank and some huge pots that giant shrubs came in. I found they did not like sitting in too much wet and I got a reasonable harvest. If you have got roots, that is brilliant, you propagate them by slips and plant them out in the greenhouse or polytunnel in May, which should give them a good long growing season.

I just looked at that link Marc and the pictures there show them when they are just starting to grow, expect up to 10-15 feet of leaf growth depending on how warm it gets, I have read you can eat the foliage, so I shall give that a go this year, but they are completely mad plants and need space for the foliage more than anything