Yes!! An allotment has finally come up

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yes!! An allotment has finally come up

I'm top of the waiting list and a half plot has come up. I haven't seen it yet but apparently the weeds are 4ft tall (and probably full of snakes). Has anyone got any tips or links to step-by-step articles on how to get started? I've been warned about rotivating. I was thinking of sticking a membrane over most of it until spring to kill off the weeds but I'd like to get a couple of fruit bushes in before winter if I can and build a compost heap. We're not allowed structures like sheds, greenhouses etc but we're allowed to build fruit cages.

Thanks for any words of wisdom :icon_smile: I'm pretty excited, I've been on the waiting list since Feb.

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Yes!! An allotment has finally come up

Congratulations! I would try and pull as many of the weeds as possible for a start - that'll give you the basis for a compost heap, too... (Only try and leave out viable seeds.)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, advice snippet No. 1 - Don't worry about snakes. I suspect they're having you on. Adders will hear you and move long before you can see them. You may see grass snakes, but they're completely and utterly harmless unless you're a frog. You won't come across a smooth snake at all where you are, and a slow worm isn't a snake anyway (and is still completely harmless).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I'm not too worried about snakes, I know my girls are dying to see one. The adders stick to the woods but there are grass snakes very close to the village, in people's gardens etc. The allotments are at the edge of the village so my daughters are pretty hopeful :wink: Maybe we'll get slow worms in the compost bin, I've always wanted to see one of those.

BTW is that your poodle in your profile pic?

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

No - it's a photo I picked up on the net. However, it's a matter of two peas in a pod - that's exactly how he looks and how he poses, although he's a little older now.

Mike

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Ah right. We're hoping to get a standard poodle in a couple of years when my youngest daughter is a bit older.

WhiteWolf
Tom Good
Tom Good

Congrats on the lotty

My advice would be.....

1] slow and steady, just take things easy
2] strim it all down, then either apply Glyphosate if you are happy to use herbicides. wait for this to take effect then cover. Or just strim and cover.
3] break the plot down into small managable sections and sort them one at a time. Looking at a whole plot (even a half plot- same as us) can be daunting and off putting.
4] lastly but the most important thing is......... Have Fun :flower: :flower: :flower:

WW :cooldude:
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play

http://the-wolfies-veg-garden.blogspot.com

JoseyJo
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Runnerbean,
We've found that covering the weeds has worked really well on our plot, when the covering was removed 6 months to a year later there were next to no weeds - just a few pale green straggly looking things which were easily removed. Saved a lot of time and also saved my back!
We've done what Whitewolf suggested and we're dealing with a section at a time In the meantime it looks tidier/less daunting covered in sheeting than when it's covered in weeds!
One thing I plan to do now is plant some green manure (probably fodder radish/clover) on some of the areas which are cleared - then we'll hopefully be improving the soil fertility and suppressing weeds at the same time. This is a bit of an experiment but hoping it'll work!
By the way, I see from a previous post that you're in Cambs - we are too (St Ives area.)
Jo

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Thanks for the tips! I am planning to take it slow, despite having lots of big, and possibly mad, ideas.

Jo, we're just the other side of Huntingdon from you. :icon_smile: I was thinking of green manure but first things first! A lot depends on how long I can persuade my children to stay there; they are only 5 and 3 so they get bored pretty quickly.

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Just been to pick the keys up, as it were. The other allotmenteers are absolutely lovely, full of tips and one of them gave my 3 year old a cucumber (she LOVES them).

I don't think I'l be able to get rid of the weeds without using weedkiller, some of the dock is taller than me. WOuld sticking a membrane down until spring kill everything off? There's also loads of brambles and who knows what else lurking in the grass. It's not all bad though, there are the remains of some sort of structure at one end and the posts seems pretty secure, so I'll probably use that and turn it into a fruit cage. I'm getting hold of some pallets to build a compost heap. There are a few other bits in there that I can't really tell what it is. Can't wait to get cracking and see what's underneath!

Is there a way to post a photo?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

http://selfsufficientish.com/forum/view ... 55&t=28877

Here you go. Our odsox did a tutorial
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Take it all easy, Runnerbean, and don't overdo anything. You'll love it :cheers:

Mike

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

RunnerBean wrote:Ah right. We're hoping to get a standard poodle in a couple of years when my youngest daughter is a bit older.
Don't take it to the allotment :lol:

They're lovely dogs and will keep you amused for life - but they're no respecters of nicely dug beds and thoroughly enjoy winding up their owners.

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Did it work?
Attachments
plot12b2SS.jpg
plot12b2SS.jpg (195.58 KiB) Viewed 5239 times
plot12b1SS.jpg
plot12b1SS.jpg (182.43 KiB) Viewed 5239 times

RunnerBean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Yay! In the first photo you might be able to see some posts (behind all the brambles). They don't seem too wobbly so I'm hoping to turn that bit into a fruit cage. As for the rest, who knows until I cut it all down. I'm in no rush and think the rest of this year will just be spent clearing and preparing for the spring.

Thanks for the help, everyone :icon_smile: