Rhubarb advice needed

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
monkeylass
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rhubarb advice needed

Afternoon all
I'm rather new to all this and so need some advice on Rhubarb.
I was given a couple of crowns in the autumn which I then uselessly left in a bucket until Feb. In between being given them and planting them, the person who gave them to me passed away, so now not only are they very precious to me, but I have noone to ask about how nest to care for them.
I literally just dug a hole and planted them when it looked like the tough little blighters were trying to grow in the buckets I was given them in. No real thought was given to position or soil quality etc. The only thing I've read is not to take more than half the fruit in the first year. Is this right? If so do I just let the other half wither away?
Has anyone any tips for caring for my rhubarb.
Many thanks
Monkeylass :flower:

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rhubarb advice needed

Well ,they ARE tough little blighters,but this hasn't been the easiest of years,bloody cold followed by super dry.Personally I wouldn't take any fruit the first year,letit grow up ,then wither away, to get some strength up for the future.mulch with as much compost/ FYM/something equally nice etc and water a fair bit when it's as dry as this.Mulch again,in late NOV,and with luck you should establish a nice permanent Rhubarb bed( divide as ness in years to come) which is honestly think is a truly nice way to remember someone.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I won't give you rhubarb advice, but the phrase uselessly left in a bucket until February resonated with me, I have many such buckets with dead bodies lying in them so I am glad not to be the only one.

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

When can rhubarbs be moved? Is it to do with time of year or condition of plant?

daz101
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Do it whilst the plant is dormant from november to march ish. You can pare the crown down (split with a spade) to 4 or 5 buds every 5 years and replant the ones you've taken off in well fertilised holes As oldjerry said leave the first years crop to let the crown develop.