help with my Garrya elliptica

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

help with my Garrya elliptica

a sick looking Gary.jpeg
a sick looking Gary.jpeg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
This beautiful tree has lived here for over 20 years. It has always had a beautiful display, although some years more than others. This year it started to grow as normal but then I noticed a few new leaves had gone brown. I took a good look at it yesterday and it seems that a whole section is dead.
At the base of the tree I can see lots of this fungi growing. Can anyone help with what it is and what I can/ should do?
thanks in advance.
fugus on the garry.jpeg
fugus on the garry.jpeg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
Sorry I just posted and dashed out. I now notice that the photo's are too small. Now when I try to put up a full size pic. it says "the file is too big". I will try to resolve this.... :banghead:

Still not sure if this will work. I have uploaded the pictures to my facebook page. Here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 367&type=1
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: help with my Garrya elliptica

I'd have to have a closer look to be sure,but I've seen this on several occasions,and sorry to say,it may well be Honey fungus.Usually,but by no means always,the fungi are more naturally 'mushroom-shaped', but the disease is not a single entity but a collection of similar viruses.
If I'm right,you can usually check by uncovering some of the roots which will often have a sort of white mildew present.
There used to be a product called Amatrillox which could be used to disinfect the soil (the shrub will have had it,you need to ensure that it doesn't spread, it will take out 90% of ornamentals,and keep it WELL away from any top fruit.Nowadays,you're just s'posed to dig up the shrub/tree and take surrounding soil away.You might protect your prize stuff surrounding the roots with some sort of Butyl liner,better drainage may also help.Sorry to be such a Jeremiah,hope I'm wrong,I like your posts. BWs.