Trying any new vegetables or varieties this year?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Amaranth
Tom Good
Tom Good

Trying any new vegetables or varieties this year?

Are you trying any new vegetables or varieties this year.

Anything new you tried last year that you would like to recommend we try?

I am hoping to try a pepper from a friend that is sweet yellow pepper and is shorter and wider than a banana pepper.

Am learning about some more Asian type greens as well.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Trying any new vegetables or varieties this year?

Last year I grew a sweet pepper called Sweet Pimento Salsa, it was amazing, really prolific red peppers similar in shape to Marconi but smaller, I had so many I preserved a lot in oil. Also retrying Salsola this year, grew it a long time ago and it wasn't very good, but I want to persevere because I found the flavour interesting.

wattreesmassive
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

We are trying bulb fennel {no idea what variety!} this year,although we sowed VERY thinly we seem to have hundreds of plants! If anyone has any recipes Id be grateful as "Fennel Suprise" {fennel plus whatever else is ready at the time} may wear a bit thin after a while!

Carltonian Man
A selfsufficientish Regular

wattreesmassive wrote:We are trying bulb fennel {no idea what variety!} this year,although we sowed VERY thinly we seem to have hundreds of plants! If anyone has any recipes Id be grateful as "Fennel Suprise" {fennel plus whatever else is ready at the time} may wear a bit thin after a while!
I love fennel raw sliced thinly onto a salad with a squeeze of lime juice.
Growing celtuce this year, never had it before, apparently it can be used young as a leafy veg/salad or harvested later for the stems.

Flo

Someone gave me three Jerusalem artichokes a bit late and said plant them anyway to see what happens. I do believe that one has peeped out. Hope the kids like artichokes if I'm right. :iconbiggrin:

thesunflowergal

New for this year are sugar snaps and spaghetti squash :-)
Stay at home Mummy to Orin 8, Trixie 6 and Temogen 4 . Also three Chickens Dottie, Poppy and Dr Mumbo. Three cats called Flossie and Pickle and Lexi.

Check out my blog:
http://ramblingsofasunflowergal.blogspot.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

Some new tomato varieties (but I do that every year) and.... sweet potato! They were flogging them ready potted up in the garden centre yesterday. The label made great claims for their productivity in "all regions of France," so I bought one.

Pumkinpie
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.8
longitude: 1.6

Sunflowergal, I am sure once u have tasted fresh homegrown mange tout you won't want to eat those u can get at supermarkets. My favourite is "sugar Ann" they are so sweet plump and crispy. What variety are u trying?
Hope u have plenty of room for the veg spaghetti plant , they are very prolific if fed properly. The children should love the veg spaghetti. One year I had loads and didn't know what to do I with them, but they stored very well in a cool dry garage. I think I used the last one in Feburary. Have fun growing and eating them. I think I have a veg spaghetti plant this year , I hope it does as well as the last one.

sleepyowl

I'm trying blue potatoes & butternut squashes this year
Organiser of the Rainbow Moot for LGBT Pagans in the West Midlands
http://robstacey.blogspot.co.uk/

The Riff-Raff Element

sleepyowl wrote:I'm trying blue potatoes & butternut squashes this year
I didn't do well with the blue spuds I tried, but butternut is a delight. We've still got one left from last season, saved for a special occasion (this coming Sunday, for instance).

AlexSBayley
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

LOTS of new varieties. This is the year I'm really settling into the swing of this garden. Year 1, we moved here a little too late to really sort stuff out for the main growing season. Year 2, I was overseas for half of spring. This year, year 3, I'm here and I'm keen and it's all happening.

We're growing runner beans for the first time (last year: bush beans), perpetual spinach (previously: just rainbow chard), thai basil (previously: just the Italian kind), radishes, marigolds, lemon cucumbers (previously: some unknown bush variety), potimarrons, spaghetti squash, yellow zucchini, cavalo nero, scotch blue curled kale, and a heap of new tomato and pepper varieties.

So, quite a lot really!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I received my Daubentons Kale plant a few months ago, I haven't managed to kill it yet, not at nine quid for one plant, but hopefully if it takes, I should have loads of lovely perennial kale I can take cuttings from ............. and flog at nine quid a time and make my fortune (I think I may be the only mug to buy a bit of of kale for 9 quid)

Silvergilt
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'm a bit late to the party, but I grew some lovely rainbow chard this year; I had never bothered with chard before but it was brilliant and I'll be growing more next year. I'm also trying some overwintering onions and elephant garlic, just for a change (I'm trying to take steps into winter gardening)