Paths between raised beds

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
MClan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Paths between raised beds

Just wanted your opinions. I have paths between my raised beds but as yet not covered the paths yet. What would you suggest. I had initially thought a weed membrane and wood hip but then I saw this coconut husk stuff. Preferably durable and childproof and friendly

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paths between raised beds

I use landscape fabric and then woodchip on top, it lasts quite a while and is fairly cheap, we used to watch out for tree surgeons working in the area and they are often glad to tip a load of chips free of charge on your drive, did used to buy some from tree surgeons too, usually about twenty quid to fill my trailer which can hold about 3 square meters. I used pea shingle which was ok but once it gets dirty and prone to growing weeds, you can't remove and compost like you can chips, also nice to walk on and very soft if you fall over on it so safe for children

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Wood chips over membrane every time! Beware cocoa husks if buying commercial chips....poisonous to dogs.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

thirded, woodchip or bark on the most expensive membrane you can afford ( you can get the cloth they do the undersides of Sofa's for Pennies, but I wouldn't)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have raised beds in my tunnels and the paths were covered in membrane with a layer of sand on top, but it doesn't work that well.
It worked fine for the first year or two, but now I get lots of weeds growing through and when I go to pull the weeds up it pulls the membrane up too.
When the winter comes I am going to lay concrete on the membrane and make permanently weed free paths of them.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

MClan

Great info, thank you. Will check out my local tree surgeon. Regarding the membrane, how will I know it is the best? Is it determined by weight? Density?

boboff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Weed-C ... 231bc2dad8

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-x30M-Heavy ... 1c14f8c1b2

The second one is better.

Expect to pay about 50p a sq meter, and look for 100gm, but you know as I do It's all about whats the deal of the day etc etc. But if it's 20p a meter to get 120gsm I would do it, and I wouldn't really look at the cheap stuff, you can get it in Poundland,
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree with Boboff, Ebay is very good for landscape fabric. Also, if you want to peg it down, a box of 4 or 6 inch nails are a lot cheaper than the pegs you can buy, so you can use a few more and secure it down really well, if you have to cut the fabric to size it will fray so I cut it a bit wider than needed, then fold under the cut edge and secure with the nails, this prevents getting long strands of plastic coming adrift from the weave.