Vine Weevil

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Vine Weevil

I spotted a 'critter' on the kitchen ceiling the other day. Didnt 'deal' with it tho [ie, squash it] and gave it no more thought till I was browsing a book and recognised it as vine weevil. Argh.

I have a fair number of house plants in the area, and lots of seedlings in conservatory.

How worried should I be ?

Should I be splashing out for some little nematode thingies to pour over everything ? And what about garden stuff ? How far do these things range ? Other suggestions....

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Vine Weevil

Overwhelmingly this is introduced from bought plants,usually from garden centres.It's most common on containerized outdoor plants(cammellias and eleagnus are prime hosts).The nematodes do quite well,get rid of this,soon as,you will know when your shrubs have it,the leaf edges look like someone's been at them with a hole puncher.Best Wishes.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks Jerry

So if I buy a big box of nematodes, do I have to use it all at once, or can I use a small amount [on house plants] and then save the rest of the contents for later applications ? Doesnt seem to be anyone selling small quantities, ie less than £10 plus shipping.
Sarah :flower:

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I just discovered vine weevil larvae in my over-wintered nursery plants. I emptied out the compost into the chicken's run for them to have a feast and burnt the plants....they were withered and had stunted growth as a result of the infestation and wouldn't have recovered. The remaining healthy plants are in quarantine until I know they aren't affected.

Its gutting finding vine weevil, I wouldn't sell the affected plants to the public, my conscience wouldn't allow me, but I know of lots of nurseries who would. I haven't tried nematodes, but when I had my gardening business in the UK, I used the vine weevil product who name escapes me at the moment for a couple of clients who had a problem and it worked very well. If the problem persists I will invest in some nematodes.

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I just discovered vine weevil larvae in my over-wintered nursery plants. I emptied out the compost into the chicken's run for them to have a feast and burnt the plants....they were withered and had stunted growth as a result of the infestation and wouldn't have recovered. The remaining healthy plants are in quarantine until I know they aren't affected.

Its gutting finding vine weevil, I wouldn't sell the affected plants to the public, my conscience wouldn't allow me, but I know of lots of nurseries who would. I haven't tried nematodes, but when I had my gardening business in the UK, I used the vine weevil product who name escapes me at the moment for a couple of clients who had a problem and it worked very well. If the problem persists I will invest in some nematodes.

oldjerry

I've no experience of using nematodes on vine weevil,most commercial nurseries deal with them chemically.Although the nematodes may be expensive,you cant overestimate the damage vine weevil can do,especially indoors,I can remember one nursery where we burned several thousand rooted Cammellia cuttings,about a 100yds of staging,soil heating stuff etc,as one propagation house was infested.Good luck with them.