Edamame seeds, source in UK or buy from US ?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Edamame seeds, source in UK or buy from US ?

I fancy having a go at growing Edamame beans this year, but cant find a UK outlet to buy them.

Has anyone got any advice for buying from US, are there import complications ? I have a friend on a US base in Yorkshire, so could use a US address [very handy as avoids high shipping costs !]

Or a UK source ? Can I just buy the beans dried from supermarket and try them ? Only ever brought them frozen, guessing those wont grow !!!

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Edamame seeds, source in UK or buy from US ?

I had never heard of them Sarah, so looked them up. Apparently they are immature/unripe soybeans. Never heard of anyone growing them in this country and not sure if it'll be warm enough here.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just looked into them more and apparently T&M sell a variety which is bred to grow in the UK.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

Albert Einstein

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aww, thanks Marc, will get some ordered
Sarah :flower:

PlainQB
Tom Good
Tom Good

I got some from RHS Wisley in Surrey a couple of years back for Mr. QB. However none of them grew, it could have been us or the seeds. Let us know if you have any success.

TT18m
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: -22
longitude: 156

well, I have been sucessfully growing edamame (soyabean) without trouble. you need to go to your trusted health food store, ask for a handful of ORGANIC soy beans, as most of them are from genetic engineered plant and will not germinate. Get the beans , put about 10 of them on a saucer, cover with damp paper towel, change the wet towel daily, after a few days, if the beans sprout, you are in luck. If the beans are mashy, then go and get new supply.

Once you can get your beans as seeds, cover with damp towel to start sprouting then plant them individually. I Just harvested 2 plants today and get 750 grams of edamame. The seeds I used this year was from last years plant.

Hope it help. TT from Canberra, Australia

Ps. also try Asian stores.