Planting Luffa Seeds

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Planting Luffa Seeds

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XSRZI 15 February 2012 Planting Luffa Seeds

Four plants are required to meet my purposes. Four containers of three seeds each were planted. Luffa plants grow slowly and require about six months to produce fruit.My Zone 5 is marginal, but usually get a reasonable crop. The pots were covered with plastic to create a mini greenhouse, particularly to keep high humidity until germination.

Durgan

Re: Planting Luffa Seeds

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KNSVL 12 March 2012 Luffa Seed Germination and Growth
Greenhouse has been cool so germination has been slow, but the plants have good colour and are strong. All planted seeds germinated.

Potter's Farm
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Been trying to get hold of luffa seeds without success, anyone in Ireland know where to get them??

Durgan

Potter's Farm wrote:Been trying to get hold of luffa seeds without success, anyone in Ireland know where to get them??
I can sympathize with you. When I started growing luffa about five years ago,it took ages to find some seeds, eventually on the Internet. Now I save them from year to year, since each fruit has about 500. If you cannot get any seeds, send me your address and I will drop a few in the mail. Seeds are viable for several years, four at least from my experience.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

I planted some yesterday - purchased on Ebay

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

durgan, do you sterilize your seed soil? interesting to see your progress with this and the tomatoes and i may adopt the coffee filter technique...if they are cheap enough. luffas only use is in the bathroom right?

Durgan

safronsue wrote:durgan, do you sterilize your seed soil? interesting to see your progress with this and the tomatoes and i may adopt the coffee filter technique...if they are cheap enough. luffas only use is in the bathroom right?
Seed soil is not sterilized. It might be different if I were selling commercial plants in quantity. Natural soil sort of conditions the plants to what will be encountered in the garden and might have some beneficial effects. I consider potting soil both expensive, and too light in structure. Garden books tend to detour from the practical and should be read critically.

Coffee filters are dirt cheap.

Luffa are only used for sponges. They can be used for food when small, but not unless one has nothing else.I use in the kitchen also. They are truly excellent sponges and last for ages. They make good skin conditioners. My daughters always want them.

okra
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 35.0
longitude: 33.4

On my list to try - just had a quick look and 15 seeds for 99p on E-Bay

Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BWYPH 21 April 2012 Luffa Plants Growing well.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KNSVL 12 March 2012 Luffa Seed Germination and Growth
Greenhouse has been cool so germination has been slow, but the plants have good colour and are strong. All planted seeds germinated.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XSRZI 15 February 2012 Planting Luffa Seeds
Four plants are required to meet my purposes. Four containers of three seeds each were planted. Luffa plants grow slowly and require about six months to produce fruit.My Zone 5 is marginal, but usually get a reasonable crop. The pots were covered with plastic to create a mini greenhouse, particularly to keep high humidity until germination.