Greenhouse

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Greenhouse

Have just put up a greenhouse which we bought 2nd hand 3 years ago (it has sat in our garage for that long). Its fantastic OH has got a heater and planted loads. In fact spending more time in the greenhouse than indoors.
HAve started off lots of seeds in the hope we can get started early.
Have bought some seen potatoes and started chitting the early's. Should we be chitting the middle and lates yet?
Sorry if it is obvious to you but am a newbie.

bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Greenhouse

Hey Kevino,

I am sharing in your greenhouse joy too at the moment (see other posts). They are wonderful aren't they? Infact my OH has offered to hook mine up to the wireless broadband, but I think that is a little bit unnecessary (especially since it is not totally waterproof!).

You don't need to chit the 'maincrop' potatoes - the reason you chit the earlies and second earlies (I think this is what you mean when you say 'middles'?) is because you plant them when the earth is still quite cold, so they take longer to get started.

But maincrops go in when the ground is warmer and have a longer season, so you don't need to chit them. Unless you live somewhere that gets blight badly (ask a neighbour) - in this case chitting maincrops is a good idea, as they get bigger faster and are more likely to have created potatoes by the time they get knobbled by blight.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

kevino
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for that info will let you know how they turn out.

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just rebuilt mine too, it had to be moved temporarily to rebuild the wall below it. Now to give the glass a really good wash before sorting things out inside. Staging is an old shelving unit I swiped from the dump and some old stacking shelves. They all dismantle when the tomatoes take over which is handy.

Most of my seed are started in the conservatory, I have a sort of heated propagator made of a heated cable in a couple of sand boxes and a couple of big tables. The greenhouse and then the new big porch will serve as hardening of shelters.

Really excited for this year, most of last was spent reclaiming the garden, now to reap some rewards....
Sarah :flower: