Compost Dalek suggestions

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

Compost Dalek suggestions

I have just spent the morning building some pallet compost bins and digging out my daleks. I now have 3 empty daleks and a 6 sided 2 layered big thing [all from Freecycle] that are spare. Still got 1 dalek and one of those rotating speedy composters that I will to keep for now.

Any suggestions of other uses for the daleks that will justify me keeping them rather than freecycling them ? Leaf compost [they are all in trash bags right now] ? mega rhubarb forcer? restraint device for stroppy teenagers ?

I have got the space, just, but would like to keep 'stuff' to a minimum.

Thanks
Sarah :flower:

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Compost Dalek suggestions

I keep my pea sticks in one

pelmetman

Hi Sarah

We turn them upside down and fill with compost/soil and use for planting things like carrots etc. Easy to weed and easy on the back.

Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

boboff

Portable coal house?

Giant guess what Dalek has the football under it?

Use a moulds for cement things to stop people parking on your verge?

I'll get my coat.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

sarahkeast
Living the good life
Living the good life

I love the planter idea, altho shudder to think where I would get enuf dirt/compost to fill them, even with upturned buckets or similar in the base. Am going to get a fig and a grape next month when car-port/shelter is done, would be great for those. Thanks.

Any other ideas ?
Sarah :flower:

pelmetman

Hi Sarah

Yes there is a lot of space to fill with soil but you could always fill in the bottom quarter or so with cardboard, any unused plant pots etc.
to bulk it up.
Sue
Kind Regards
Pelmetman Dave
Pelmetlady Sue
Pelmetdog Troy

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Forcing rhubarb would get my vote for one of those.
If we manage to remember to do it then we'll be using an old plastic dustbin as a rhubarb forcer (just need to get the rhubarb crown from the garden to the plot, planted and so on and work out how to stop it all blowing away in the wind)

surfpeach
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Sarah,

We have just done the same thing with our daleks and built new bins from old pallents, we are using one dalek for leaf mulch and the other one for storage. The rhubarb forcer sounds a good idea, never though of that!

Big Al

sarahkeast wrote:I have just spent the morning building some pallet compost bins and digging out my daleks. I now have 3 empty daleks and a 6 sided 2 layered big thing [all from Freecycle] that are spare. Still got 1 dalek and one of those rotating speedy composters that I will to keep for now.

Any suggestions of other uses for the daleks that will justify me keeping them rather than freecycling them ? Leaf compost [they are all in trash bags right now] ? mega rhubarb forcer? restraint device for stroppy teenagers ?

I have got the space, just, but would like to keep 'stuff' to a minimum.

Thanks
I've just aquired one from my neighbour and I'm using that to fill with the straw and hay of the rabbits and chickens. In the main I would say leave the lid off and let the rain in to rot down the straw but I'm thinknig of trying a hot bed in the summer with this one. As for stroppy teenagers a nail through the foot to a 6 ft piece of wood slows them down shed loads. If used for the leaves keep wetting them down as they need water to rot down quicker. Give the rhubarb a try, and you never have too much "STUFF" If you have the space keep them and they will come in handy soon.......... well in the next 30 years or so.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

irigg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

you could try potatoes i'm pretty sure the effort for the amount soil would result in a bumper crop :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Yes, great for potatoes. If you have chooks, you can pile the bedding on top instead of earthing up. Otherwise, use shredded paper, works just as well.

Zoe