CATS!!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

CATS!!

AAAARRRGGGHHHH :angryfire: :angryfire:
I've thrown water at yet another cat toileting in my veg patch. I'm fed up of finding catsh*t in my veg patch. This latest one ran off before it did anything but it has broken one the leeks. Other than showing an unhealthy interest in euthentic chinese food anyone got suggestions on how to keep them off my veg? It's already surrounded by chicken wire and free cds

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: CATS!!

A mixture of canes criss-crossed through the beds and orange peel seems to help a lot but nothing is infallible against a desperate kitty! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

Rose stems with big thorns laid just under the surface so they get a pain as they scratch the soil. Male urine sometimes works as does a dog occasionally but other than killing the cats you have no real cure. One of my neighbours up the road has 2 simese cats and one comes into my garden to chase the chickens. I bent his ear about it and asked him to stop his cat coming into my garden. His reply was " oh it's a cat, you can't stop a cat going into other peoples gardens, it's natural" With owners like that one despairs.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

clanpowell
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Big Al wrote: I bent his ear about it and asked him to stop his cat coming into my garden. His reply was " oh it's a cat, you can't stop a cat going into other peoples gardens, it's natural" With owners like that one despairs.
I agree they would soon start moaning if I let my two dogs just wonder around their gardens digging where they pleased.

Big Al

clanpowell wrote:
Big Al wrote: I bent his ear about it and asked him to stop his cat coming into my garden. His reply was " oh it's a cat, you can't stop a cat going into other peoples gardens, it's natural" With owners like that one despairs.
I agree they would soon start moaning if I let my two dogs just wonder around their gardens digging where they pleased.

Actually that's a brilliant idea. I never thought of that. I'll take my dog into their garden and see what he says when my dog digs his flowers up....... and he will, lol.

Brill idea......
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Millymollymandy

Cats, like chickens, can hop over metre high chicken wire so I suggest a second lot of chicken wire to make it taller. You'll then need to double the height of the gate as well. I've got plastic fence wire which skinny cats can squeeze through but my own big lad can't. However I rarely see any cats in my veg patch, otherwise I'd be covering that wire with chicken wire! Good luck.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Oh yes that stuff works and for dogs too :cheers: (well the stuff we bought was 'dogoff' or similar name, stopped the neighbour's dog from crapping on our grass at the entrance to our orchard), BUT, you need to keep applying it after it rains, and it is very expensive (here in France anyway). :( So you might go through rather a lot if you have to apply it all around the perimeter of your veg patch.
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

SusieGee wrote:Edit: have a look here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pbi-Pepper-Dust ... 481&sr=8-1

Or a bit cheaper here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Vitax-Pepper- ... 255e649910
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

battybird

My OH recommends razor blades :shock: but we found that sprigs of holly scattered round worked fairly well but some cats just dont seem to get the idea! Orange peel had some success too but had to keep being reapplied. A neighbour swears by the ultrasonic thingy but they are fairly expensive!
Big Al, good luck with the dog! I had a neighbour whose dog used to be let out and used our garden as its toilet :angryfire: For several months I tried politely mentioning it to the neighbour till I lost my cool one day, scooped up the offending (warm) poo and took it to the neighbours house and gave it to her. The dog never came round again! Maybe take the cat poos to the neighbour?? :thumbright:

edit; cat pepper never worked for us but maybe I was using the cheap stuff!
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

bonniethomas06

I never thought that when people go on about citrus being offensive for cats that it would be that effective.

However, the other day I peeled an orange and put the peel on the table. My cat walked towards it, took a sniff and then ran a mile.

I can understand how stressful it must be for people to keep finding cat poo, but it is difficult as a cat owner - unlike dogs you can't fence cats in or tell them off!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

boboff

Air Rifle?

Water Pistol?

Dig an area near by as a kitty Toilet.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Big Al

battybird wrote:My OH recommends razor blades :shock: but we found that sprigs of holly scattered round worked fairly well but some cats just dont seem to get the idea! Orange peel had some success too but had to keep being reapplied. A neighbour swears by the ultrasonic thingy but they are fairly expensive!
Big Al, good luck with the dog! I had a neighbour whose dog used to be let out and used our garden as its toilet :angryfire: For several months I tried politely mentioning it to the neighbour till I lost my cool one day, scooped up the offending (warm) poo and took it to the neighbours house and gave it to her. The dog never came round again! Maybe take the cat poos to the neighbour?? :thumbright:

edit; cat pepper never worked for us but maybe I was using the cheap stuff!

far better to spread it on their car door handles......
Secret Asparagus binger

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Big Al wrote:I bent his ear about it and asked him to stop his cat coming into my garden. His reply was " oh it's a cat, you can't stop a cat going into other peoples gardens, it's natural" With owners like that one despairs.
Seriously, what do you expect him to do? Keep the cat locked in the house all the time? You may not like cats, but that would be quite cruel. They go crazy if you keep them shut in (well, most of them do, especially if they're used to going outside).

If you're around to monitor it, I agree with the water pistol suggestion. We've found that quite effective for training several cats.

Our cat has recently decided the cold ash in the fireplace makes a good litter tray when it's cold and wet outside.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Jerseymum
Tom Good
Tom Good

smear the top of your chicken wire with tiger balm or deep heat
How do you live your life when there's nobody watching?

roger ramjet
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

On the plus side, if you are troubled with field mice that can cause damage to many crops, a cat can be your helpful friend.
Roger Ramjet