Not Quittin' Smoking

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Not Quittin' Smoking

To anyone who doesn't want to give up: smoke a briar pipe, buy Cornell and Diehl tobacco, and learn from PipeFriendCHS on Youtube. Women can and do smoke a briar pipe too!

pumpy

Re: Quittin' Smoking

I think i'll give up trying to give up. Maybe i'll try smoking some haddock!! :iconbiggrin:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

Millymollymandy

:lol: :lol: :lol:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

southeast-isher

Has any smokers amongst us ever taken (nasal) snuff? It seems the only way to cut down if you are a heavy smoker who doesn't want to quit.

Millymollymandy

No, I remember my old uncle snorting it occasionally and getting the powder all down his chest though! :lol: I don't see how that's going to help you stop smoking as it's still taking nicotine, but I suppose it might be more socially acceptable. Are you allowed to snort snuff in a pub or restaurant? :lol:

oldjerry

At my local there is a tin of snuff behind the bar,I think it belongs to someone who just uses it when they're having a pint,anyhow with his knowledge there's a free pinch anytime 6 for any one who fancies it.(I havent smoked for years,but miss the smell of smokey pubs since the ban),the snuff is great.

southeast-isher

I have had about 8 sniffs of snuff in my life... just got a tin today. In the states there is some marketed as a quit smoking aid. In many respects it's not much different from the NRT prescribed by the doctor except incredibly cheap and maybe a better effect from the nicotine. Some people rate it as safer than smoking! But i don't know. Charles Darwin was a fan. And i think Stephen Fry does it on occasions. And politicians have had the option for years when they go into the houses of parliament.

southeast-isher

MillyMollyMandy can i tempt you to give those wretched cigarettes up and try a briar pipe? There is a pipe for everyone:

Millymollymandy

I've never seen a pipe like that before! What is a 'briar' pipe exactly? I kind of imagined it was made from briar which is a bramble isn't it...oh I dunno! :scratch: :dontknow: :iconbiggrin:

And won't snuff do the same thing to your nostrils as cocaine does? :shock: Is it still there for sale in amongst all the cigs and baccy and stuff? (As I didn't even know it still existed or even what it's called in French I haven't exactly stood looking for it at a cigarette counter.....)

southeast-isher

You can get snuff in all or most tobacconists MMM. A briar pipe means one made from wood... i'm not sure what type of wood though.

cafe_tom
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

southeast-isher wrote:MillyMollyMandy can i tempt you to give those wretched cigarettes up and try a briar pipe? There is a pipe for everyone:

Crikey SE-isher, that's a heck of a pipe. I did some reading on Poul, that must have set you back a whack. Some beautiful pipes on there. I have a simple Peterson flat bottomed.
Bored? Try My Blog
Really bored? Read My Book

southeast-isher

Hey Tom, it's not mine unfortunately... I just have a few Dr Plumb giants... pretty cheap. I don't get on with Peterson system though i like Peterson. Right now i enjoy cigarillos. Have you tried Cornell and Diehl tobacco?

southeast-isher

MMM, snuff occasionally or rarely is ok say if hiking or something but i prefer smoke... i imagine it would be similar to your nose as cocaine but in the olden days it was de rigeur.

cafe_tom

Ah, my pipe envy is re-directed then!
I've not tried the C&D baccy, would you recommend it at all? If so, do you have a UK source? I'm not a big smoker, I've never smoked cigarettes, I used to enjoy the occasional cigar, but the pipe just seems to work for me. I'll confess to generally picking the tobacco by the name, or the smell. I'm far from refined! :lol:
Bored? Try My Blog
Really bored? Read My Book

southeast-isher

I don't have a UK source for C & D baccy Tom but i think if you import one or two 2 oz tins from SmokingPipes.com then this is under the import duty threshold. It's like no baccy i've bought in the UK, but there are lots of different types to try. I have some Kajun Kake at home which is pretty pokey! But you'd have to try a few types depending if you like latakia, burley, black cavendish, stoved red virginia, etc