soapwort

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
fuchsia
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

soapwort

i wondered if any of you have grown soapwort? if so was germination good, was it productive and did you use it for soap? thanks in advance for any replies.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: soapwort

I grow soapwort. It's a prolific spreader - we learned our lesson and now grow it in an area where it can spread as much as it likes. Very easy to grow and lovely pink flowers.

I've not used it yet though, I read somewhere about it being quite irritant or having allergens. Can't remember exactly, but it put me off a bit.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Eigon
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I used to live in a cottage with soapwort in the garden - otherwise known as Bouncing Bet. We used it quite a lot - as Green Aura says, it's a prolific spreader. We found that it wasn't really powerful enough to be used for washing up, but it was an excellent shampoo. I believe the National Trust use it to wash delicate historic items.
"The best way to get real enjoyment out of the garden isto put on a wide straw hat, hold a little trowel in one hand and a cool drink in the other, and tell the man where to dig."
Charles Barr

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Green Aura wrote: I've not used it yet though, I read somewhere about it being quite irritant or having allergens. Can't remember exactly, but it put me off a bit.
I use bought soap nuts (soapwort seed pods) for washing clothes. I have very sensitive skin and am allergic to most washing powders but I don't have any problems wearing anything washed with the soap nuts.

Zoe