what are you harvesting?

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Keaniebean
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: what are you harvesting?

We have been having, kale (russian red), spicy salad leaves, apple mint, chocolate mint, garlic chives, normal chives, lots of thymes and Nettle beer form HFW website. Very tasty I have to say.

I just hope I get some tomatoes too later in the year the frost has killed off most of mine, but a kind old fella that just stops and talks to me sometimes has just dropped off 8 plants for me today. :iconbiggrin: :iconbiggrin:
Sarah.x

Come on over and see the fun at Troll Manor http://trollfamily.blogspot.com/ Now blogging once more :) after a little shove from the one and only MMM.

Peggy Sue

Loads of lettuce- at last I get a spring when beat teh slugs to it :iconbiggrin:
Last years spring onions, I seem to grow slow spring onions, but the first of the big onions this weekend
The odd asparagus spear, few peas, loads of broad beans, and broad bean tops
one sprouting plant which came after the purple sprouting but wasn't purple...same packet though? nice surprise. Still some spring cabbage (all the cauli are gone now but what a great year for them)
The landcress is over- that was great to last till the lettuce began.
Rhubarb, Goosberries (today!)

I dug the potato out of teh compost heap in hope but it was the size of a marble and just one at that.

Can't wait for carrots mmm
Just Do It!

spymurph
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Nettles to make fertiliser... still eating last year's rhubarb and some courgette soup... loads of salad leaves.. lots of herbs...

Millymollymandy

Strawberries and lettuce.

I was hoping that I'd be harvesting new potatoes and mange tout by now (especially as I have my mum and brother here) but my first mange tout pod is only just forming! So green salad and bought veg it is for the time being. :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

grahamhobbs

Stopped picking autumn sown peas and the asparagus, started eating the artichokes (purple ones), lettuce (spring sown and some still haven't bolted from autumn despite being in the polytunnel (Rouge Grenobloise - very good variety)), calabrese from the polytunnel (can't believe it, still waiting for PSB to sprout!), broad beans will be ready for the weekend, first strawberry today.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spring cabbage has finished some time ago as has indoor new potatoes, and strawberries are now on their last legs.

Harvesting loads of peas, mange tout peas, broad beans, French beans, summer leeks, lettuce, spring onions, beetroot, turnips, summer cabbage, T.S. Broccoli, carrots and tomatoes.
This weekend (our bank holiday) I shall start digging new potatoes and the Borlotto beans should be ready to start next week.

Graham, my summer PSB you can see a purple centre if you look VERY closely but it will be several weeks yet.
Unless it is extremely tasty I can't see me growing it again as I hoped it would be a quick "fill in" crop.
On the other hand, the Tender Stem Broccoli that I sowed at the same time have now got usable spears, so 10 weeks from seed to table.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

My garden is always behind everyone elses for some reason so the only thing I can harvest is lettuces or some eeny weeny baby potatoes.

Tho in the wild I'm harvesting the elderflowers.

grahamhobbs

Odsox, most impressed with your cropping, I guess most of your current crops are in your polytunnel, I've only really been getting to grips with polytunnel growing in the last few years, so would love to hear more about your sowing/planting of your polytunnel, especially over winter. As to my PSB, sown early September, now enourmous in the polytunnel but still no sign of any shoots, unfortunately I don't know the variety.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah sorry Graham, I thought you were talking about this "new" summer PSB, or are you ?
I sowed some last October and it promptly died ... this lot were sown at the end of March and are now fair sized plants and if you have a good imagination you can see the beginnings of a purple head forming.
This variety is the T&M Summer Purple.
Anyway, it's not the plant I had hoped for, I thought it might be a quick growing veg to fill the hungry gap, but it seems not.
Tony

Mrs Moustoir
Living the good life
Living the good life

Eating strawberries every day now. Lovely!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Salad Leaves everyday, pakchoi in the polytunnel has flowered but still harvesting leaves, and my chives have managed to burst through the pile of rubble that was dumped on them. :cheers: and I ate my first baby carrot today (from PT, planted in February)
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Millymollymandy

I was naughty and dug up a potato - need to wait another couple of weeks I think! :lol: But it has shown me that my spuds need watering so I suppose that was a good thing as it's the important time now. :roll:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

LyssaM
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Millymollymandy wrote:I was naughty and dug up a potato - need to wait another couple of weeks I think! :lol: But it has shown me that my spuds need watering so I suppose that was a good thing as it's the important time now. :roll:
one of the kids balls damaged the potato plant so since there were was another very close by I just pulled it up and got a few eeny weeny little ones... It's hard not to peep, isn't it?

citizentwiglet

First salad leaves of the season this weekend - even my four year old demolished them. Salad from a shop is 'deeeegusting', salad from the garden is, apparently, 'fab-ooooo-lus'......:-). Been harvesting my herbs (except the rosemary, which is still quite small and puny) for a couple of weeks, too.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It paid to wait that extra 10 days MMM, this is from the one root for tonight's dinner ... just about enough for the two of us.
spudsnew.jpg
spudsnew.jpg (133.44 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
Thankfully the days of rice and pasta are over as I can now dig new spuds every day. :cheers:
This little lot should keeps body and soul together until next year ........
spuds2010.jpg
spuds2010.jpg (137.96 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Tony