allotment advice

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

allotment advice

Hello everyone,

Last year my mum and i were given a half plot a bit late in the season, and add to that the fact i was heavily pregnant, the allotment didnt get used to its full potential. this year we want to get more veg from it, but are hopeless beginners who dont know where to start!

do you make a plan? i have done spread sheet of all our seeds different sowing/planting/harvesting times so it is all in one place.

we havent done anything to it yet this year. we are gonna dig it this weekend (weather permitting!) but do we need to add manure or some sort of soil improver, or is it too late?

linzi
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: allotment advice

It's great you've made a start, but then where do you start? Well yes make a simple plan of your plot, deciding where to put your compost bins, shed and things like that, not that you need to build these just yet. Situate them in less favourable areas. Then decide if you are going to grow any perenials, soft fruit, herbs, artichokes and the like. The rest is going to be your main growing area.
Now you need to asses if this area is ready for growing vegetables. Is it covered in weeds, are these perenials weeds, like couch grass, bindweed, brambles, etc? If they are then you are probably only going to be able to clear a small area and the rest you will have to 'contain' until you can clear more later, probably in the autumn.
If there are not many perenial weeds, then it will be easy to clear the ground.
Decide how you are going to divide the plot, what size beds are you going to have, are you going for no-type dig type beds, only about 1m wide with paths between (but these must be kept mown or weed free) or bigger areas?
Dividing the plot will mean you can concentrate on certain beds/plots without being overwhelmed so much and will assist when you get round to thinking about rotations in the future.
I am a great believer in no-dig gardening, prefering to spend time getting plenty of mulch on, rather than digging and weeding. But it depends on what organic material you can find easily - horse manure, wood chippings, etc. You can put manure on at any time, so long it is rotted down, just put it on the surface to smother weeds and to keep the soil moist, the worms will slowly dig it in.
Don't try to grow everything the first year, grow the easier vegetables and remember the slugs will eat everything given a chance and then the birds will have a go. So the strategy must be to minimise the number of slugs around - get rid of all long grass/weeds and keep grass well mown. Slugs love tender young seedlings, so it is best to raise plants in modules or plots, planting them out only when they are bigger and strong. Then remember all brassicas, cabbages, etc must be protected from pigeons.
Good luck and don't hesitate to keep asking questions.

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello, I'm new here but have had experiences similar to yours.

My advice is keep things very simple for the first year. It's really tough taking on a new plot because once the weeds start growing they grow fast and its reallly hard to keep up with them.

I don't know how big your plot is but if this were mine I'd cover half of it immediately, undug, and keep it covered for the whole of this season. Anything really, cardboard with organic matter on top (manure or grass cuttings etc or even black plastic fixed down well) and leave it to cook without hurting your back (whole body).

Then in the other half grow a small number of crops but by having fewer you will have the time to grow them well, ie keep them weed free and watered.

Spuds are great as they clear the ground as well as feeding you.

Oh and I think a permanent seat for a rest is essential and some shade for your pram. Make a nice place to go and you'll go there more.

Good luck.

pumpy

There is so much to learn, but this comes with time (as we have all found!). When planning your plot, think about its position..... e.g. don't sow short plants on the northern side of taller plants, as they will be in permanent shade, don't put toms & spuds together ('cos they are from the same family..... so if one gets blight then so will the other). Any probs, there will be some one here with the solution. Have fun! :icon_smile:
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.