Hanging basket ideas

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hanging basket ideas

My polytunnel is nearly up (frame is all built, waiting on a wind free day to put the polythene up :cheers: )

So I have these crop bars and I fancy hanging stuff from them... any suggestions as to what I can use, no funds for baskets but they don't need to be pretty...... and what might be nice to plant in them?

I have bought too many seeds already this year, so I have to try and make do with what I already have. Maybe some herbs? .... I think everything else I have grows up :?

My current thought is to cut sections out of a pop bottle and push holes in the bottom, and somehow suspend that... coat hanger maybe?

Anyway, just wanted to pick brains :study:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

sheena
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Hanging basket ideas

I don't know what access you have for woods etc, but a cheap and cheerful idea is to collect woodfall thin branches and to craft them into any shape that takes your fancy - cost=just a bit of time and patience.

Elizabeth
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Grow strawberries and tomatoes.

Why not use the wire coathangers to make a basket!
Elizabeth

Remember! Turn off, when not in use

http://www.gardenersclick.com/

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've used the wire cagey bit from old lampshades before now, the skeleton of it, lined with some old hessian I think it was. They were moderately successful, though I remember it being tricky getting the centre of gravity right when attaching the chains. Old colanders or sieves maybe?
As for planting them up, I'll agree with strawbs and toms, herbs are good too, or maybe some flowers to attract pollinatey insects? Or equally plants that can repel veg-munching insects?
Harm None!