Helop New to Allotments

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Helop New to Allotments

Hi I have been given an allotment on loan for a while and don't really have any idea how to get started - I have grow various things on the patio in containers etc ----just need to know how to get started on a bigger scale and what to plant when etc...
A lot of the allotment is already planted with fruit bushes rubarb and a big strawberry patch so we are not talking about a huge amount of left over ground -- any advice will be gratefully received thanks

Mel :flower:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Helop New to Allotments

Hi, when you say on loan for a while, how long do you mean?

You need to plan your growing around this - no point planting something that takes 8 months to grow if you've only got a 6 month loan. your hard work may be reaped by someone else!

The other thing is, can you change any of the current planting - a huge strawberry patch is good if you're planning on loads of jam and such-like or you'll have a glut and long periods of useless ground.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

pumpy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Mel, don't know about your location, but i assume the ground is still fairly frozen right now. Hopefully, after this week-end there should be a thaw, so then would be a good time to dig over the "unused" soil to let any further frosts help to kill off bacteria/weeds. Then start getting ready for spring-time seeds,etc.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

pumpy wrote:Hi Mel, don't know about your location, but i assume the ground is still fairly frozen right now. Hopefully, after this week-end there should be a thaw, so then would be a good time to dig over the "unused" soil to let any further frosts help to kill off bacteria/weeds. Then start getting ready for spring-time seeds,etc.
Hi thanks for the advice yes its still cold - I'm in County Durham - I was just wondering what I could plant first once the hard work of digging is done - is there anything worth putting in in February ...???

pumpy

There are quite a few "earlies" (celeriac, e.g......... under a cloche), why not trawl around the gardening areas on this site?I have found it so useful.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

An other idea is to chat to your fellow allotmenteers. We can give you general advice, but they'll know what particularly likes/doesn't like your particular location. It's a great way to make friends too.

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Flo

MEL78 wrote: Hi thanks for the advice yes its still cold - I'm in County Durham - I was just wondering what I could plant first once the hard work of digging is done - is there anything worth putting in in February ...???
I'm next door in Northumberland and we reckon that early planting starts end of March unless you have a greenhouse that you can heat and start out seedlings.

Things like garlic and winter onions should have been put in at the end of November. Most of us at the moment are shifting/turning compost heaps, starting bean trenches (dig a trench the width of the plot, put in kitchen peelings and such like, cover as you go and keep marked for runner beans), buying seeds and seed potatoes and checking that we have enough netting, fleece, canes.

If you start too early up here Jack Frost undoes anything you plant.

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for the advice I had wanted to plant garlic but didn't know the planting time and am gutted that I have missed out - not to worry there's loads of other things I can try as I am sure that this whole year is going to be on huge trial and error... :(